Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• ssougnez 93 posts 319 karma points c-trib
    Nov 29, 2018 @ 13:15
    ssougnez

Should ModelBuilder be enabled in production?

Hello,

I'm currently creating a package to deploy my web site in production and I wondered if ModelBuilder had to be enabled in production ?

I'm using it on development to create my model automatically but I'm wondering what would be the added value of having it enabled in production as no one is supposed to modify document types in production.

Are there some advices or something justifying what it would be needed for a production environment ?

Thanks

• Nik 1593 posts 7151 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Nov 29, 2018 @ 13:44
    Nik

Hi Ssougnez,

While you are developing, what models builder mode are you using?

If you are building and releasing with Models Builder in the PureLive setting, you will need to keep it on. However it isn't recommended to release with PureLive you would be better off considering one of the other options such as Dll.

Personally, I now try and use the API models builder mode which means I generate my Models via a custom tool in Visual Studio. Then when I deploy my site I switch off the API.

Models builder stays enabled just with no mode defined..

Nik

Nov 29, 2018 @ 13:48
    ssougnez

I'm using LiveAppData that put the generated class in a separated project that I reference in Umbraco. So I guess I don't need it to be enabled in production, do you confirm?

• Dave Woestenborghs 3504 posts 12133 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Nov 29, 2018 @ 14:00
    Dave Woestenborghs

Hi Sebastien,

I think it needs to be enabled. Otherwise the models factory does not work.

I usually use the api mode. So it's always set to nothing. And on production environments the api is enabled.

Dave

Nov 29, 2018 @ 14:06
    Nov 29, 2018 @ 14:30
    ssougnez

Yeah, the comment states "for anything else to happen", but I think it's referring to the model generation. When I'm in production, the DLL that contains the model are there and available, they should not get generated, which is why I don't think it should be enabled. All it would say is generate some ".cs" file in the IIS directory for nothing.

Nov 29, 2018 @ 14:48
    Dave Woestenborghs

If I remember correct setting it to disabled broke my website.

But not sure now anymore :-D

I think my advise will be just try it :-D

Dave

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft