Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Nik 1593 posts 7151 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Dec 10, 2018 @ 10:51
    Nik

Failed to determine if request was client side

Hi all,

Recently I've been seeing a large increase in the following error being getting logged in my Elmah.IO logs for a couple of Umbraco sites:

The problem with it is that there is no additional information with it so I'm unable to investigate where this is happening. All I know is that it is being thrown by the following:

System.ArgumentException: Illegal characters in path.
      at System.IO.Path.CheckInvalidPathChars(String path, Boolean checkAdditional)
      at System.IO.Path.GetExtension(String path)
      at Umbraco.Core.UriExtensions.IsClientSideRequest(Uri url)

It seems to only really be happening on Umbraco 7.10 and newer.

Has anyone else noticed this behaviour at all? Or have any ideas on how I can find out where this is occurring in order to try and address it.

Thanks

Nik

• Gregory 38 posts 128 karma points
    Dec 13, 2018 @ 14:14
    Gregory

Ni Nik,

I am getting the same issue, with a load of errors popping up everyday on the live environment.

I am using 7.12.4.

Exact same message... Still trying to identify the source of the problem.

Do you have any 3rd party plugin on your site by any chance?

Dec 17, 2018 @ 11:56
    Nik

Hi Gregory,

Yep I have quite a few third party plugins. This wasn't being triggered previously though, it's only started happening since upgrading to 7.10 and no new plugins were added at this point.

Thanks

Nik

• Arjan Woldring 124 posts 231 karma points
    Dec 13, 2018 @ 19:06
    Arjan Woldring

I do have the same errors quite a lot on sites running 7.12.2.

Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers, Arjan

• David A 7 posts 53 karma points
    Dec 17, 2018 @ 18:42
    David A

Same problem here, anyone here who managed to solve it? I don't have any third party plugins as of now but have recently removed some.

• Andreas Nordmand Andersen 4 posts 74 karma points
    Dec 18, 2018 @ 14:54
    Andreas Nordmand Andersen

I got the same problem. Anyone who has solved this?

Update: Umbraco had a message saying the following: "Last deploy didn't go as planned. Often this problem is solved by making a change and do a new deployment."

I tried to make a line change in a .cs view file and commit it again. When doing so, git detected some new pending changes made by Umbraco that got merged into my "master" branch. When pushing through to Live with these changes, I didn't get the error anymore.

• Gregory 38 posts 128 karma points
    Dec 19, 2018 @ 09:58
    Gregory

Update after getting this issue through support.

Using Umbraco Cloud here by the way.

All environments are up to date for us with no issue what so ever to report, so it doesn't seem to be deployment related. The issue only occurs on the live environment as well.

Originally I was told special characters in the URL could trigger that as digging deeper into the error we can see the issue linked to the Umbraco.Core.UriExtensions.IsClientSideRequest extension.

I was subsequently told to use VS to load up the extension and see what is being loaded, which could] potentially lead to the source.

Even with all those information I still have not been able to determine why this is occurring all the time. A bit out of my depth here to be honest.

• Arjan Woldring 124 posts 231 karma points
    Jan 03, 2019 @ 10:10
    Arjan Woldring

Did anybody find a solution?

Not using Cloud. On Umbraco 7.12.4. The Error-logs are going nuts...

enter image description here

Thanks in advance for any help! Arjan

• dillorscroft 198 posts 192 karma points
    Jan 18, 2019 @ 08:35
    dillorscroft

I've been getting similar errors on low volume for a long time. There is never enough detail in the message to determine the issue and as it was low impact I set it aside. However, it's now brought the site down today and client hopping mad.

Any further thoughts from HQ?

• Genc Kastrati 86 posts 401 karma points
    Jan 18, 2019 @ 08:41
    Genc Kastrati

We get these regularly and only on Live. I suspect it is some crawler triggering it with invalid URLs.

Jan 18, 2019 @ 08:58
    Nik

It probably is, but unfortunately we don't have a) the urls or b) the request information so can't look at blocking the crawler / urls so it just spams the logs unfortunately.

Think is, it only started happening in later versions of Umbraco so it's frustrating :-) It's not a bug, there is just insufficient information logged imo.

• Bryna 73 posts 259 karma points
    Jan 22, 2019 @ 19:02
    Bryna

Do you have access to check your IIS logs[this is to find who is requesting]? You could try searching those for the same date range that you are getting those requests.

Based on the fact that it is illegal characters in the path, it brings to mind a setting in the web.config which behaves very differently when using apsnet20 vs the setting that is more up to date.

Reference 1

Feb 15, 2019 @ 08:52
    Genc Kastrati

Hi Bryna, no we don't have access to the logs. This is happening on the Cloud, I could ask for them I guess?

• Ismail Mayat 4511 posts 10090 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Feb 06, 2019 @ 13:15
    Ismail Mayat

We just did a deploy on a site this morning not on cloud and its started going nuts with this same error.

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Feb 06, 2019 @ 13:57
    Dirk De Grave

I can confirm the same issue, happens too often, also in load balanced environment on a 7.12.3 installation... GitHub issue got closed :(, but from what I can see here, lots of people are struggling with this error

• Michael Nielsen 153 posts 810 karma points
    Feb 08, 2019 @ 09:36
    Michael Nielsen

We're seeing this error on multiple solutions also

Exception:
    System.ArgumentException: Illegal characters in path.
       at System.IO.Path.CheckInvalidPathChars(String path, Boolean checkAdditional)
       at System.IO.Path.GetExtension(String path)
       at Umbraco.Core.UriExtensions.IsClientSideRequest(Uri url)

It's spread out to both older and newer versions (2x 7.9.6, 1x 7.12.4 and 1x 7.13.2).

Feb 08, 2019 @ 09:42
    Ismail Mayat

One thing we found was this started happening when got a massive spike in traffic, no idea why the spike happened but since traffic went back to normal we only get it intermittantly.

• Michael Nielsen 153 posts 810 karma points
    Feb 14, 2019 @ 13:57
    Michael Nielsen

Ok, so we got Umbraco to activate IIS logging on Cloud, and we've identified the source of the problem, at least in one of our cases.

It's a bot, called MJ12Bot, belonging to a SEO optimization service called Majestic https://majestic.com

We can see in the IIS log, that it requests weird URLs that, for some reason, include HTML, resulting in error 400 (Bad Request).

We'll discuss with the client if it's a service they use, if not then block it in robots.txt.

I'll bet when we look into the other cases, we'll find the same or similar problem.

Feb 14, 2019 @ 14:20
    Ismail Mayat

Micheal,

Thanks for the update, we will look at turning on iis logs in azure see if anything shows up.

Regards

Ismail

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Feb 14, 2019 @ 14:29
    Dirk De Grave

thanks for the update, not a service we use, makes sense to ask to turn on iis logging (or ask for the logs if it were already on)

--Dirk

• Barb Romito 12 posts 74 karma points
    Feb 15, 2019 @ 12:10
  • Yakov Lebski 549 posts 2113 karma points
    Mar 16, 2019 @ 10:19
    Yakov Lebski

Looks like error occurs because of client dependency, when I set the application to debug=true, no more error in logs

Mar 16, 2019 @ 10:21
    Ismail Mayat

It could be a third party plugin is,I have seen this before tracked it down to missing ;

• Yakov Lebski 549 posts 2113 karma points
    Mar 16, 2019 @ 10:47
    Yakov Lebski

thanks, in my case it's CSS file, I trying to find the issue

Update:

in my case it was empty url in background-image:

background-image: url();

after removing it - no more errors

Mar 18, 2019 @ 08:58
    Genc Kastrati

Interesting! Thank you for this. I will look into it, it is quite possible this is the cause.

Mar 20, 2019 @ 09:04
    Genc Kastrati

Ok this looks like the right direction. I identified 3 places where such calls were being made, essentially sending to nothing or had some strange parameter. Most of it stems from old custom code.

Now after removing them, the errors have mostly disappeared.

A few of them are still showing, so there must be something still there. But most are gone...

Thank you Yakov!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft