Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Roland Tindall 6 posts 76 karma points
    Dec 24, 2018 @ 05:26
    Roland Tindall

I'm an Umbraco developer and intend to sale hosting. I want to assure my customers that if I disappear that they will be took care of. They will have an appointed person or business to help with the re hosting. At this point, I'am a one person team. How do I assure my customer(s)?

• Dennis Adolfi 1082 posts 6446 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Dec 27, 2018 @ 13:01
    Dennis Adolfi

Hi Roland.

First of, we all hope you won't disappear or die anytime soon, but I get your question.

You can tell your client that there's currently:

• 221 745 number of active member in this community.
    • 443 450 number of active installs of Umbraco.
    • 1 029 871 number of NuGet installs of UmbracoCms.

So your client is not alone is case something where to happen.

I don't know where you are from but on the communit page you can find Umbraco developers near you: https://our.umbraco.com/community/

Also on Umbraco.com you can find Umbraco partners based on other crituera than just location: https://umbraco.com/partners/find-a-partner/

Umbraco is growing by the minute so I don't think your client would have any problems finding someone to help them with re hosting. Maybe do a local linkedin searcht o find someone in your connection that could serve as a backup developer? ThereĀ“s a lot of Umbraco developers on LinkedIn.

Best of luck to you!

• Marcio Goularte 374 posts 1346 karma points
    Dec 27, 2018 @ 14:01
    Marcio Goularte

Adding to the comment, our chief unicorn takes care of all Umbracians wherever they may be

• Roland Tindall 6 posts 76 karma points
    Dec 29, 2018 @ 00:50
    Roland Tindall

Thanks for response

I'm 54 Years old with gray hair. Water Valley, MS 38965

I'm thinking about

• Collect all accounts and passwords
    • Assign someone to receive in will
  • Amir Khan 1282 posts 2739 karma points
    Dec 29, 2018 @ 18:59
    Amir Khan

Hi Roland, I had a friend go through this recently where their developer passed and everything was in his GoDaddy account. It was a HUGE pain for him to gain access (for good reason), it took about 3 months with all of the attorneys involved, back-and-forth, etc. What I did after helping him with this experience is create a list of hosting access info and Umbraco admin accounts and handed them off to each of my clients along with another developer who's a friend of mine for safe keeping.

It isn't a perfect solution but at least they'll have access if something happens.

Interesting thought on the will, I just pinged a buddy who is a trust attorney to see what the protocol is, there has to be one for bank account access and such I'd think.

It would also be interesting if there was a system / app (maybe there is) where you an grant access to certain things based on scenarios like retirement, severance of relationship, etc.

-Amir

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft