Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Robert Slaybaugh 6 posts 76 karma points
    Jan 10, 2019 @ 14:50
    Robert Slaybaugh

Notification Emails Not Working

After upgrading Umbraco to version 7.11.1 and deploying, several users no longer receive notification emails set in the content area under Notifications. The Umbraco site was developed and upgraded through Visual Studio. I am looking for some assistance in figuring out why this is occurring for only a few users. I tried creating a new user account with the email, and that doesn't work. I have verified that emails are not going to junk/spam and are not appearing anywhere on the Exchange server. It appears that they are not being sent in the first place.

• Sumesh KP 34 posts 107 karma points c-trib
    Jan 10, 2019 @ 19:01
    Sumesh KP

Hi Robert,

1. Have you checked the ~/AppData/Log/ file ?
    2. Please verify the SMTP is configured correct in the Web.Config
    3. Please check that the Config/UmbracoSettings.config has added the default notification email address. This address is taking the from address of the notification emails by default. So, this should be configured properly.

Please verify above points and add your comments here

Happy to help you.

• Sumesh
    Jan 10, 2019 @ 19:33
    Robert Slaybaugh

Hi Sumesh,

I have checked the ~/AppData/Log files, but nothing sticks out to me as an error for the notifications. Do you know of anything specific I should look for that would be related to email notifications?

The SMTP is configured correctly in the Web.Config, and the notification email address is set in the Config/UmbracoSettings.config file. The emails are working for some users.

• Sumesh KP 34 posts 107 karma points c-trib
    Jan 10, 2019 @ 19:47
    Sumesh KP

Strange.

These are the points we check from the umbraco side.

Can you please validate the email address are working fine? Or the mail box server bouncing these emails?

Jan 11, 2019 @ 14:18
    Robert Slaybaugh

The email addresses are working fine. I did some further testing, and it appears that it may be an issue with the type of notification. I set an account to receive notifications for Publish and Send To Publish. When I log in with a different account and send to publish with that account, I do not receive a notification. When I publish, I do receive a notification. I have monitored the log while doing this, and nothing appears in the log other than the notification of publication and the saving of the XML file.

Another oddity, it does not happen for every content area. We have several top level content areas, and some of them work fine, with both the publish and send to publish generating the proper notification.

Jan 14, 2019 @ 13:25
    Robert Slaybaugh

Would it be possible to override the notifications through code? Perhaps that would shed light on if the notifications are being triggered and simply failing to send the email, or if the notification isn't being triggered at all.

• Jonas 123 posts 206 karma points
    Sep 05, 2019 @ 10:44
    Jonas

We are having the same strange issue, some of the notifications arrive, some dont. And this is the same for a couple of users

Sep 05, 2019 @ 12:50
    Robert Slaybaugh

Unfortunately I never resolved this issue. One thing I did discover though, is that it appears to affect the last person to sign up for the notifications. For several of my content areas, if I signed up for notifications, then the person who wasn't receiving notifications suddenly started getting them, but I would not. I'm guessing maybe there is a bug in the notification code with a loop or something not going to the last person. Hope this helps.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft