Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Nancy A. 44 posts 175 karma points
    Jan 18, 2019 @ 14:42
    Nancy A.

Limiting Umbraco to a single page in website

Trying again as this question was answered with a 'go to a $1,000 Umbraco workshop that tells exactly how to do this' which unfortunately I'd love to but can't at this time and none of the videos on Umbraco have closed captioning (I have hearing loss).

Anyway, I just completed the 'build a basic site' from Umbraco's tutorial and am excited about what I can do. But I'm puzzled how to work in Umbraco with existing websites, particularly if the CMS needs are limited in scope:

My client wants one page of her .Net MVC website in a CMS - just one page. I'm trying to figure out how to work with Umbraco so that page is under CMS without having to copy/paste the entire website's files into Umbraco's file system. How does this work w/ the existing controllers, views, and so on? All of the blog posts and event posts (calendar dates) are stored in a database - how would I go about transferring it over to Umbraco's cmsPropertyData table?

TIA!

• Matthew Wise 271 posts 1373 karma points MVP 4x c-trib
    Jan 18, 2019 @ 17:00
    Matthew Wise

Hi Nancy,

The only way I could think of doing this is running the umbraco site as a child application.

I have never tried it to see if it works. It is the only way I can think of it working without using a sub domain which is not what your client wants.

Although I would probably suggest convincing your client to migrate to umbraco completely.

Matt

Jan 18, 2019 @ 22:19
    Nancy A.

Thanks. Yeah, it does seem like my best bet would be migrate everything over to Umbraco at this point. And to take that workshop. :)

• John Bergman 483 posts 1132 karma points
    Jan 19, 2019 @ 05:38
    John Bergman

Are you truly wanting it to be just one page in your web site? Depending on your situation, you could call umbraco a variety of different ways. Do you have flexibility with your hosting provider? Can you run 2 sites and simply use content from the other?

Jan 22, 2019 @ 18:03
    Nancy A.

The plan is to limit this to one page, but you raise a good point - we need to keep in mind that this site may grow and the clients' needs, may change. At this time, I'll push for a site rewrite in Umbraco (luckily, this is a small site and the time on our side, so it'll be an opportunity to learn Umbraco along the way).

But you've got me curious - what variety of ways are you referring to? We have our own servers and could run two sites ...

• Mark Drake 133 posts 457 karma points c-trib
    Jan 22, 2019 @ 02:48
    Mark Drake

Hi Nancy A.

Do you have experience in back-end programming?

You can set your client up on Umbraco Headless for free right now (it's in beta) and you can use Umbraco's supplied .NET API to make a backend call to Umbraco and request the data for the page. Once you have the data for the page you can do anything you want with it. You might want to cast it from JSON to a strongly typed view model and save it in the DB, or you can use it to generate a static HTML file. Possibilities are endless.

It sounds like you are in a great position though to advocate for either a site re-write or a site migration to realize the benefits of a CMS editable website.

The Umbraco Headless solution isn't for everyone, but it's free to try and put into use right now. I do not have any information about what the pricing may be for this service once it's released. I'd suspect it's something similar to, but possibly slightly cheaper, than the Umbraco Cloud plans right now.

Jan 22, 2019 @ 17:58
    Nancy A.

I do and this is intriguing - I'll look into this and share with our team to see if it's a viable option. Thanks!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft