Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Tor Langlo 189 posts 532 karma points
    Jan 23, 2019 @ 02:08
    Tor Langlo

Media Item Name - purpose and best practices?

Since the name of media items (images) is not used in the url, what is the purpose of the name? Is see the following:

1. Is displayed in the media section's tree
    2. Tooltip when hovering over a MediaPicker2 property
    3. Tooltip when hovering over items inside MediaPicker2's list of images (when browsing and selecting)

Anything else?

Based on this knowledge, are there any best practices as to how to name the media items (images)?

• Capitalization
    • Spaces, hyphens, or underscores?
    • Same as the underlying filename maybe?
    • Include filetype extension?

I have to admit I find it really confusing (and frustrating) that we both have a Name and a Filename, but only Name can be changed. Why can't the Filename be changed, since in many ways it is more significant (url and visibility to the website users, and from an SEO point of view). Sigh!

Maybe some of the oldtimers around here can shed some light on the history of the media library and its design? Would be nice! :-)

-Tor

• Kerri Mallinson 113 posts 497 karma points
    Jan 23, 2019 @ 10:25
    Kerri Mallinson

Hi Tor,

Not sure on the history of the media section etc. but I tend to use Name for a human readable description of the image and use it for the image alt text which is better from an accessibility pov.

Kerri

• Tor Langlo 189 posts 532 karma points
    Jan 23, 2019 @ 19:12
    Tor Langlo

Thanks for the input, Kerri! Our site is multilingual and that means we have to use content from the doc types for the alt texts, etc.

-Tor

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft