Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jakob Lithner 61 posts 264 karma points
    Jan 23, 2019 @ 15:32
    Jakob Lithner

SOAP TimeOut Exception related to umbracoUpgradeChecker

I have been developing a new site the last months using Umbraco 7.10.4. Being occupied for a couple of weeks I returned today only to find I suddenly get some strange errors when working in the backend.

The only thing I can figure out I have done is upgrading VS 2107 to 15.9.5. This flagged a warning when opening the solution regarding the SQLEXPRESS reference. I was surprised since I didn't know I was using SQLEXPRESS. Apparently I had a DefaultConnection specifying a database with a strange name. I tried to find it but didn't succeed. I tried to remove the line with connection string DefaultConnection but that caused errors since several providers were using it as reference. Following the VS dialog suggestion I modified the connection string saying "./SQLEXPRESS" to "localhost/SQLEXPRESS". Then the project is OK to open and launch. BUT I get the below annoying errors intermittent when using the backend :(

1. Is the error even related to the connection string?
    2. Why do I have a DefaultConnection that is referenced by providers? Can I get rid of that? In another Umbraco project not updated from previous versions they are lacking.
    3. What is umbracoUpgradeChecker and why is it running?
    4. Does anyone know an explanation/solution for the strange SOAP timeout related to umbracoUpgradeChecker?

System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: Server was unable to process request. ---> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding. ---> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The wait operation timed out --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection, Action1 wrapCloseInAction) at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj, Boolean callerHasConnectionLock, Boolean asyncClose) at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.TryRun(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj, Boolean& dataReady) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.FinishExecuteReader(SqlDataReader ds, RunBehavior runBehavior, String resetOptionsString) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReaderTds(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, Boolean async, Int32 timeout, Task& task, Boolean asyncWrite, SqlDataReader ds) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method, TaskCompletionSource1 completion, Int32 timeout, Task& task, Boolean asyncWrite) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.InternalExecuteNonQuery(TaskCompletionSource`1 completion, String methodName, Boolean sendToPipe, Int32 timeout, Boolean asyncWrite) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery() at umbracoUpgradeChecker.BusinessLogic.Logger.Log(String server, Int32 major, Int32 minor, Int32 patch, String comment) in D:\Dev\UpgradeChecker\umbracoUpgradeChecker\BusinessLogic\Logger.cs:line 31 at umbracoUpgradeChecker.CheckForUpgrade.CheckUpgrade(Int32 versionMajor, Int32 versionMinor, Int32 versionPatch, String versionComment) in D:\Dev\UpgradeChecker\umbracoUpgradeChecker\CheckForUpgrade.asmx.cs:line 52

• Jose Marcenaro 11 posts 112 karma points c-trib
    Jan 23, 2019 @ 15:35
    Jose Marcenaro

Hi Jakob, the same thing just happened to us and I found out that the service http://update.umbraco.org/checkforupgrade.asmx is randomly failing.

I posted an issue on Umbraco-CMS (Github) with the details https://github.com/umbraco/Umbraco-CMS/issues/4221

and it is being addressed as we speak.

Jan 23, 2019 @ 15:46
    Jakob Lithner

Thanks for quick answer!!

I understand you as this is not even related to my local code? That is indeed very good news!

It is strange that the backend need to call the online service that often. It is also very unfortunate that the online server is failing causing potential problems to all instances .... :(

• Matthew Wise 271 posts 1373 karma points MVP 4x c-trib
    Jan 23, 2019 @ 15:49
    Matthew Wise

You can disable the upgrade check by using the config setting here - https://our.umbraco.com/Documentation/Reference/Config/WebConfig/#umbracoversioncheckperiod

• Jose Marcenaro 11 posts 112 karma points c-trib
    Jan 23, 2019 @ 15:51
    Jose Marcenaro

Jakob: Yep, you are right on both counts:

• not related to your installation in any way.
    • doesn't sound like a good idea that the check is so frequent, and that the service may fail.

In my case, I decided to entirely disable the check with the web.config setting described above. By following the Umbraco community, I already now when there is a new version I may want to upgrade to.

Jan 23, 2019 @ 15:53
    Jakob Lithner

Good approach. You saved my day!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft