Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Gilles 26 posts 108 karma points
    Jan 25, 2019 @ 13:02
    Gilles

Hi there,

This being my first post, I'd like to start with presenting myself:

I'm Gilles from Luxembourg, 38 years, and I am a hobby .NET developer (sorry, nothing fancy to show :-) ), though I tend to develop some useful tools for work if needed. Otherwise, in my spare time, I play around with.NET Core, Angular and try to keep up to date on the newest and fanciest technologies.

Now at work, I've tasked myself to redo our website, because it is crappy and no one else can do it (and there is no money to pay an extern). Liking to be in control of exactly how my content is presented, and because I have some knowledge in the .NET web dev stack (MVC...), I think Umbraco as a CMS is really the way to go for me.

Now my question is, as I'm new to Umbraco, should I start directly with v8? I'm not afraid of trying things. But I was wondering if I could just take the documentation from v7 and apply it to v8? Are the basic concepts similar? Or is there already enough documentation for v8 to get started? If so, where is it? I couldn't find it?

Kind regards

Gilles

• Nik 1593 posts 7151 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Jan 25, 2019 @ 14:06
    Nik

Hi Gilles,

Welcome to Our :-)

At this point in time, I would say start with V7. V8 is still in alpha release and it is known that there will be no direct upgrade path instead it will be a migration path due to the sizable changes that are happening in V8.

Nik

Jan 25, 2019 @ 14:12
    Gilles

Thanks for your comment Nik.

I understand that v8 is still in alpha.

But what about long term support for 7. Will it continue or will support/updates/security fixes be dropped once v8 is released. I don't want to start working on my website and then having to migrate in 3-6 months time. That's why I was considering starting directly using v8.

However, if v7 isn't going to go away anytime soon, I might just use v7.

Kind Regards

• Nik 1593 posts 7151 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Jan 25, 2019 @ 14:35
    Nik

Hi Gilles,

I don't believe there are plans to stop supporting v7. Updates may well drop off but the HQ is good with security fixes. They still release them for v4 and v6 when needed.

The other advantage of v7 is there is a good community behind it that are actively submitting pull requests to help fix bugs and add improvements. Honestly I don't see this changing at least not for a year after the v8 release and even then it depends on how well v8 is received by clients.

Personally, I will be to be using v7 for a while yet, even for new projects. I may use v8 for personal projects and experiments but not for a client's site.

Nik

Jan 25, 2019 @ 15:14
    Gilles

Hey Nik,

Ok. Thanks for your answer. I will go down the v7 route then :-)

Gilles

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft