Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• JoskerVemeulen 68 posts 262 karma points
    Jan 27, 2019 @ 10:02
    JoskerVemeulen

Hide umbraco version for users

Hi,

How do i go about hiding the umbraco version for the users in the backend? Under the profile name, when clicked open.

There is no nedd for them to see this.

Thanks

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jan 27, 2019 @ 12:09
    Jan Skovgaard

Hello Joske and welcome to the Umbraco forum :-)

I agree that the version number might not seem that relevant to editors and perhaps it should be considered to move it to a less "Up your face" spot on the profile overlay since it's currently one of the first things that one will notice.

But I'm not sure it's worth the effort to try and hide it - The thing is that the overlay is a reusable component with some general class names being used so if you target .umb-overlay__subtitle in a CSS override to hide it then the subtitle will be hidden in every overlay that might be using it, which is less than ideal.

If the overlay had a modifier, which was unique for the overlay then you could simply have added your own CSS file for doing some visual overrides like Matt Brailsford describes in the first part of his article here https://24days.in/umbraco-cms/2015/umbraco-7-back-office-tweaks/

However since it will have some implications to just do that blindly then you perhaps need to consider making use of the interception he also mentions so you create your own instance of the overlay and intercept it in this scenario and use your own where you then don't render the subtitle - I have not tried doing this myself yet so I'm not 100% sure it's doable in this scenario but Dave Woestenborghs writes more about it here too https://skrift.io/articles/archive/changing-backoffice-functionality-without-changing-core-code/

The benefit of using the interceptors is that you don't edit directly in core code, which is subject to be overriden if/when you upgrade to a new version, which means you'll need to redo your changes etc. - Interceptors prevent that from happening.

Personally I would not put in the effort to do it - I would rather start a discussion / file an issue at the issue tracker https://github.com/umbraco/Umbraco-CMS/issues where it can be suggested to place it differently or make a check to see if it's an admin being logged in. Even though Umbraco 8 is just around the corner it might still be relevant to suggest for v7 since it will continue to live for years to come still. And maybe it's also relevant for v8... Can't remember if that part has changed in v8 as I write this.

I hope this helps and makes sense :-)

/Jan

• JoskerVemeulen 68 posts 262 karma points
    Jan 27, 2019 @ 13:01
    JoskerVemeulen

Jan,

Definitely makes sense. Thanks for the comprehensive answer!

Joske

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft