Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Deane 14 posts 54 karma points
    Jan 27, 2019 @ 13:39
    Deane

Can allowable child objects and list view settings be applied at the object level, rather than the type level?

I have a document type for "Content Folder." It's just what it sounds like -- a tool for organizing content.

There are two settings which are normally applied at the type level which I would like to control at the object level. So, these settings would normally apply to all Content Folders, but I would like to individually apply them to specific Content Folders objects.

They are:

• The allowable child types: I would like to specify that only Type X is allowed in a specific Content Folder, and only Type Y is allowed in another specific Content Folder.

• The list view parameters: I would like to have different List View settings for specific Content Folder objects.

Is this possible, or do I need to have specific Content Folder types for each instance where I would like custom settings?

• David Challener 80 posts 444 karma points c-trib
    Jan 27, 2019 @ 20:41
    David Challener

Hi Deane,

I think the easiest thing here is to create a new document type for the specific permissions and list views you want in place.

I know the current drive is to have more doc type compositions than inheritance, however for something as trivial as a folder it may be easier to have your new document types being children of your generic "Content Folder".

Many thanks, David

Jan 28, 2019 @ 02:05
    Deane

Yeah, I kind of came to this same conclusion after I wrote this question.

However, I wasn't aware of inheritance in document types. I know about composition, but how do I inherit from one type to another?

• David Challener 80 posts 444 karma points c-trib
    Jan 28, 2019 @ 09:33
    David Challener

Hi Deane,

This is how it used to be done, where you literally create doc types as children so the data types would be inherited. As I say, compositions are being pushed more as it makes some things easier and depending on the version of Umbraco you might not be able to create Document Types as children to other doc types.

Blake has written a nice article around the two approaches http://letswritecode.net/articles/document-type-compositions-in-umbraco/

Many thanks, David

Jan 28, 2019 @ 13:15
    Deane

Looks like direct inheritance was dropped in 7.4.

Still, your comments were helpful and validated my approach. Thank you.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft