Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jeroen Oostwouder 100 posts 296 karma points
    Jan 30, 2019 @ 14:31
    Jeroen Oostwouder

Server Memory keeps expanding?

Hi there, I'm a bit lost with this problem. We have a lot of sites on a single server and I'm monitoring the CPU and MEM usage now and then.

I notice some sites taking 600 - 1000MB memory. Most of them are easy to explain. Sites with lots of traffic, lots of nodes, lots of images, custom caching, you name it.

But once in a while, there pops a site to the surface with 600+ MB memory, while being an almost non-existing site.

For example: I have a site, which is a template-preview we use for our customers to check out an exisiting template.

• It has almost 50 nodes (3 nodes in recycle bin included).
    • Umbraco 7.12.3
    • I can't imagine it has a lot of visitors.
    • Umbraco.config file is 96kb
    • Cache-folder is almost 5MB
    • TEMP folder is 2.5MB
    • Running HTTPS (and having umbracoUseSSL to 'true' in web.config)

It sounds like nothing. But still, at this point it uses up 623MB in the server-memory.

It started as a 7.2 website (I guess, might be 7.4?), and some months ago I started updating these old template sites, hoping it would solve the memory issue. But without succes.

Does anybody have any idea where to look for the reason this site keeps growingin memory? I can kill the process, and then it starts at 160MB and stays there for some time. But over the course of a couple of days it just starts growing again.

• Nik 1597 posts 7156 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Jan 30, 2019 @ 15:34
    Nik

Hi Jeroen,

Although I don't have an answer to your question, I thought it would be useful to share this with you: https://ubenchmarks.offroadcode.com/miscellaneous/ram-usage/

OffroadCode do some bench-marking of various Umbraco installs which gives some really interesting stats. One of which is the RAM usage of an empty install, and also one with content (I believe, but I honestly don't know for certain, but I think they use the Umbraco Starter kit for their content test).

If you look at the graph, it does appear that 7.12.3 does use around 623MB of ram in a site with basic content. In fact the bench-marking actually show's it closer to 700mb.

I don't instinctively think there is an issue with your site, just so you are aware :-)

Nik

• Jeroen Oostwouder 100 posts 296 karma points
    Jan 31, 2019 @ 08:08
    Jeroen Oostwouder

Wow, thanks for the link. This explains a lot. I was thinking it was just an error, but the memory footprint is just increasing.

I know we have some troubled sites, in which case we pretty much know what the cause is (external content import, items get deleted, or just media, and the indexer just runs into errors), and what we need to fix.

But these common sites aren't bugged I guess.

• Steve Smith 75 posts 158 karma points
    Feb 01, 2019 @ 14:13
    Steve Smith

We have noticed some things with memory usage that caused us concern too. We have a fairly large site, moderate traffic - and we do a lot of caching to improve performance.

Some stuff is cached from external sources (to save having to fetch data externally for each visitor), some stuff is the result of a complicated node query.

We were running our Azure App in 32 bit mode - as many people advised. However, we got to the point where the site started to fall over with "out of memory" errors. We switched to 64 bit, and the memory usage just seems to keep creeping up. Currently if I look in the Kudu Process Explorer for the app, its reporting that w3wp has a "private_memory" value of 1,883,208 KB (I assume that means the amount of RAM it's been allocated?). Seems quite high? After an app pool cycle, it drops to more like 600Mb.

If there is a problem, I suspect it might be related to MemoryCache, and the expiry of the cache/garbage collection.

We use MemoryCache extensively - but also on looking at the Umbraco source code, Umbraco uses it too (their implementation is similar to ours).

Does anyone know if the IIS worker process tends to hang on to RAM once its been allocated? Is there a way of changing how garbage collection is handled?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft