Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at


  • Ji Pattison-Smith 3 posts 74 karma points
    Jan 31, 2019 @ 13:39
    Ji Pattison-Smith
    0

    Invalid column name 'controlId' on upgrade

    I'm trying to upgrade a project from v7.12.3 to v7.13.1, but I keep getting this error:

    Invalid column name 'controlId'
    

    The strange thing is, I upgraded successfully in my local environment, but on deployment to the live environment it caused this error, and I had to roll the code back.

    Having followed the stack trace into the source code, it looks like what it's trying to do is a major version upgrade to v7, but clearly it shouldn't be, so it must be getting the wrong version number from somewhere. This site was built in Umbraco 7, and I've double checked the umbracoMigration table and the only upgrades are from older versions of 7.

    I've had issues upgrading in the past, but they've generally been solved by some combination of clearing browser cookies/cache and clearing out temp folders on the Umbraco install.

    I've also tried setting up a brand new site on the server with a copy of the live database and the upgraded code (with the old version number in web.config) and still get the same error.

    I've scoured Stack Overflow and these forums, but haven't come across a solution that works for me. I'd really appreciate any assistance anyone can provide.

  • Ji Pattison-Smith 3 posts 74 karma points
    Feb 02, 2019 @ 14:34
    Ji Pattison-Smith
    1

    I've still not sussed this, but I have made some progress. I realised then when I get the error, it doesn't ask me to log in to Umbraco (even with cookies cleared, private window), which is strange. The install always asks for a login in my experience, and did when completing the successful local upgrade.

    I found that if I connect to the remote database from my local code, I get the same error.

    If I dump the remote database and restore it locally, I'm not even able to log in. But some of the table schemas are not dbo. The following tables have a schema matching the database user: cmsMedia, umbracoAudit, umbracoConsent, umbracoUser2UserGroup, umbracoUserGroup, umbracoUserGroup2App, umbracoUserGroup2Node, umbracoUserLogin, umbracoUserStartNode.

    If I alter these tables to have the dbo schema, suddenly the upgrade works! So I have a potential path for getting an upgraded site working remotely now, but I'm still baffled at why this is happening, and how I can stop it from happening in future, so if anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them :)

  • Ji Pattison-Smith 3 posts 74 karma points
    Feb 27, 2019 @ 13:33
    Ji Pattison-Smith
    0

    Just in case anyone else has this issue, my solution was to switch the site into maintenance mode, bring the live database down to dev, alter the offending tables to use dbo schema, run the upgrade, and then replace the live database with my upgraded one. Quite a faff, but it's done the job. Now to see if it keeps happening that way...

  • Zac 226 posts 489 karma points
    May 22, 2019 @ 04:28
    Zac
    0

    We ran into the same issue in a shared hosting environment. We were able to resolve this by downloading the db, upgrading Umbraco locally, then uploading the db and files.

  • Matthew Kirschner 321 posts 602 karma points
    26 days ago
    Matthew Kirschner
    0

    I can confirm that this worked for me. No need to put the site into maintenance mode.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft