Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Gunnar Iggmark 6 posts 76 karma points
    Jan 31, 2019 @ 15:59
    Gunnar Iggmark

Earlier today our client reported that their web site had lost a lot of content. I checked it out and found that most of the pages had lost their content. The content tree is intact but the page content is gone.

I checked the logs and didn't find any dodgy requests in the iis logs, but in the Umbraco trace log I found a lot of publishing event for the time period in question. About 800 lines of logs that looks like this:

2019-01-31 14:15:50,263 [P8844/D2/T159] DEBUG Umbraco.Core.Sync.ServerMessengerBase - Invoking refresher Umbraco.Web.Cache.PageCacheRefresher on local server for message type RefreshByInstance 2019-01-31 14:15:50,341 [P8844/D2/T159] INFO Umbraco.Core.Publishing.PublishingStrategy - Content 'Aktuellt' with Id '1614' has been published. 2019-01-31 14:15:50,372 [P8844/D2/T159] DEBUG Umbraco.Core.Sync.ServerMessengerBase - Invoking refresher Umbraco.Web.Cache.PageCacheRefresher on local server for message type RefreshByInstance 2019-01-31 14:15:50,419 [P8844/D2/T159] INFO Umbraco.Core.Publishing.PublishingStrategy - Content 'Medarbetaruppgifter' with Id '1567' has been published.

Every other line contains some kind of publishing reference. All in all about 400 content items. This all happened in about two minutes.

Does anybody have any clues to what this is?

• Harry Spyrou 212 posts 604 karma points
    Jan 31, 2019 @ 16:20
    Harry Spyrou

Any data transfering plugins you use like USync or Courier?

Jan 31, 2019 @ 16:24
    Gunnar Iggmark

Thanks for responding.

Yes, USync and Usync Snapshots is installed on the server. Anything to check there?

• Ravi Motha 290 posts 500 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    Jan 31, 2019 @ 16:24
    Ravi Motha

can you check the aut trial on the home node, so what events are captured. it might help you understand what started this issue. also is teh umbraco .Config complete??

Jan 31, 2019 @ 16:38
    Gunnar Iggmark

Thanks for your response.

I might be really slow here, but I don't get what you are suggesting. How do I check the aut trial on the home node? History on the Info tab?

• Ravi Motha 290 posts 500 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    Jan 31, 2019 @ 16:41
    Ravi Motha

in the back office of umbraco .. right click the home node(page) ; then you should see the option for audit trail which might give you an event to start looking at .

Though I think it might be an issue relating to usync.

Jan 31, 2019 @ 19:48
    Gunnar Iggmark

I have checked the Audit trail of one of the affected pages. It looks like a legit publish by a regular editor account:

Audit trail, user names blanked out

I have blanked out the User column. The highlighted row is the offending one. Everything looks normal. The user account responsible for the publish differs from page to page.

Jan 31, 2019 @ 16:25
    Harry Spyrou

I had problems with uSync altering the database abruptly. If you don't have a backup (if that's actually the case) you lost the content.

Check if that was the culprit

Jan 31, 2019 @ 16:40
    Gunnar Iggmark

USync is set to manual sync. I can't find any signs of USync interference here.

I do have a backup, fortunately, but I'm afraid that this will pop up again, so I would like to know what has happened.

Jan 31, 2019 @ 17:06
    Harry Spyrou

Even if it's set to manual sync I had instances were it removed content no matter what I did in the past.

Remove it completely from production (that's what I did). Restore the backup and monitor it.

Make sure that the uSync folder is gone from the root of the project AND (very important) make sure there are no uSync dlls left.

I used to look for: 'jump' or 'uSync' in the bin folder. If there are files left there, uSync will still force changes even if there's no folder in the root. and of course uninstall it on the developer tab.

What used to happen to me is, I was losing content or was losing new changes on restart of the app that I would deploy. uSync would force them to go back to a previous version or completely mess up the structure in Umbraco.

Monitor it and let me know, I'm curious to see.

Jan 31, 2019 @ 19:49
    Gunnar Iggmark

I'll dig deeper and see what I find. Thanks!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft