Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• javafun 17 posts 50 karma points c-trib
    Feb 11, 2019 @ 09:37
    javafun

Is it possible to handle more than one submit button?

Hi All

I am running into this issue recently. The current form has one submit button does post to the surface controller to persist the form data.

My client has a new requirement and would like to add another button on the same form to allow their users to save the data as draft.

I went through the forum and google, found the following similar question, unfortunately, there wasn't clear solution to fix this issue.

https://our.umbraco.com/forum/templates-partial-views-and-macros/90611-how-to-i-implement-two-submit-buttons-in-the-same-partial-view-hitting-the-same-surface-controller

Can someone point me a direction how to handle multiple submit buttons with Umbraco surface controller?

Appreciate for your help.

• Emiel 31 posts 124 karma points
    Feb 11, 2019 @ 09:53
    Emiel

What I've used is the "formaction" attribute. Example:

<form class="form" action="/url" method="get">
        <div class="inputs">
            <input class="input" placeholder="Name">
        </div>
        <div class="form-buttons">
            <input class="submitbutton" type="submit" value="Submit form">
            <input class="link" formaction="/different-action" value="Submit to different action" type="submit">
        </div>
    </form>

You can read more about it here: w3schools link

Feb 11, 2019 @ 10:36
    javafun

Hi Emiel

Thanks for your quick response.

In your code snippet, you specify method="get" in the form tag, is this the trick to handle multiple form post?

My form used formaction and generate via @Url.SurfaceAction, however the only difference to your example is the form method, it turns out no matter which button I clicked, it always post to the form's action, not the formaction I specified in the button.

Appreciate for your help.

• Emiel 31 posts 124 karma points
    Feb 11, 2019 @ 12:02
    Emiel

Whether it is "POST" or "GET" shouldn't be the issue, the page it was submitting to was a Vue app which had additional parameters needed, hence the usage of "GET".

Honestly, I'm not really a big fan of using either @Url.SurfaceAction or @Html.BeginUmbracoForm, could you try to make the form in html, and then try to add the route you're trying to hit to those buttons?

Feb 11, 2019 @ 13:11
    javafun

Hi Emiel

Again, thanks for your response.

However, I think you suggested approach only works if I register MVC standard route, meanwhile I lose all Umbraco context e.g. I'm no longer able to use return CurrentUmbracoPage if validation failed. I have to complete change the way how I handle the entire form which is not very ideal for my current situation.

• Craig Mayers 164 posts 508 karma points
    Feb 11, 2019 @ 15:21
    Craig Mayers

Hi javafun,

If you can't get it working using the suggestions Marc posted on the the previous post you mentioned...

Then I would say the easiest solution for this would just to create a second partial view which POST's directly to your new Action method on your current SurfaceController.

Thanks

Craig

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft