Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Josip 195 posts 662 karma points c-trib
    Feb 11, 2019 @ 16:12
    Josip

Hello,

I have a task to create website with 2 types of member profiles ex. Standard profile and premium profile. This profiles after login can pick their categories and subcategories (one member can have many categories) created by admin in umbraco backofice. Also members should be able to create news.

So i have many concerns about it, i would be happy if someone can answer at least on one my question.

1. What would be the best aproach to create this member type profiles? Would it be to create same member type for both and then put them in different member groups, than if someone upgrade from standard to premium I can just change his member group?

2. What about categories? I was thinking to make it like this for admin: enter image description here

But then i dont know how to allow members to pick this categories in their profiles (i need directions about it pls).

1. Than i dont have idea how to alow members to create news i think that it should be similar to 2nd question but I dont know how to connect members with document types and templates if that is possible.

I realy like Umbraco and i would like to do this project in it but i am a bit confused when it comes to members and their profiles.

Thanks

Feb 12, 2019 @ 13:02
    Josip

Anyone? I would really appreciate any help.

Josip

• Andy Neil 7 posts 80 karma points c-trib
    Feb 13, 2019 @ 12:55
    Andy Neil

Hi Josip,

I'm glad you've chosen to look at Umbraco for your solution.

Firstly it's a little important to get the terminology sorted as to members and users. When we talk about members this usually means front-end website users rather than people who use the Umbraco backoffice. (These are referred to as users). Umbraco uses pretty vanilla .net membership models so you can just look into the standard ways of using this, though you can customise the schema to suit your needs.

I'm not entirely sure I understand the architecture of your proposed application but the fist thing I'd want to understand if you plan on letting people into the Umbraco backoffice or not.

If yes, then you can achieve permissions based access using the groups which is covered in this blog post.

If you don't want them in the backoffice then you can create them as members and write custom code using the ContentService to create and save the news articles to the content tree. This is well documented here.

Cheers, Andy

Feb 13, 2019 @ 13:06
    Josip

Hello Andy,

I am happy to see the answer on my question. I understund difference between users and members. I need members ( they will register and login on frontend ) to create their news, events etc.

So probably ContentService is what i need but i was never in touch with it, is there any tutorial about it (maybe if i pay for umbraco tv) or maybe there is some example. I was searching a lot (more than 3 days) but I couldnt find anything or maybe i was searching on wrong place.

Thanks

Josip

• Steve Morgan 1345 posts 4452 karma points c-trib
    Feb 13, 2019 @ 13:45
    Steve Morgan

Hi,

Here's a super simple example. You'll obviously need to create some code to handle the who and where this is published.

You need to change the parentNodeId, the alias of the document type you are creating (newsArticle?).

var contentService = ApplicationContext.Current.Services.ContentService;

var parentNodeId = 1234; // this would be your news or events container

var newNode = contentService.CreateContent("My New Node Name", parentNodeId, "newsArticle", 0);

newNode.SetValue("title", "Some News Title Or another");
    // rest of values set here

// save and publish
    contentService.SaveAndPublishWithStatus(newNode);

If you're still stuck there are videos on Umbraco.TV https://umbraco.tv/videos/umbraco-v7/developer/fundamentals/content-api/

Steve

Feb 26, 2019 @ 10:27
    Josip

Hi Steve,

I am a bit late with answer, but this is what i needed. Also i got 1 free month of umbraco tv and I watched all videos. Now its all much more clearer to me.

Big thanks

• Steve Morgan 1345 posts 4452 karma points c-trib
    Mar 08, 2019 @ 14:21
    Steve Morgan

Good news - you're very welcome!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft