Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Dominic 4 posts 74 karma points
    Feb 14, 2019 @ 11:07
    Dominic

2 umbracos same database

Hi Guys

I have 2 umbracos and they are connected to the same database and the same Umbraco.config file and ExamineIdexes.config pointing to the same Temp file.

But when one item is published on the one site it is not updated (published) on the other unless I do a restart in IIS, what am I missing?

Thanks for any assistance

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Feb 14, 2019 @ 12:01
    Dirk De Grave

seems you wish to run umbraco load balanced? having 2 (iis) sites running of the same database?

suggest to have a look at the documentation about load balancing https://our.umbraco.com/Documentation/Getting-Started/Setup/Server-Setup/Load-Balancing/

Lot will depend on your current setup, but umbraco supports load balancing out of the box (requires some config though discussed in the docs)

--Dirk

• Dominic 4 posts 74 karma points
    Feb 19, 2019 @ 09:48
    Dominic

Hi Dirk

I have tried that but it doesn't seem to work, to give an idea the one website is https://www.quickpic.co.za and the other is mediawire.co.za when content is published on quickpic it is displayed but mediawire doesn't pull that through and I have to restart mediawires app pool. They are using the same config file and database but 2 seperate umbraco instalations and websites.

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Feb 19, 2019 @ 10:06
    Dirk De Grave

Hi Dominic,

I don't think this is a really good idea to share config file and Examine indexes between different umbraco installs

I don't know what version you're working with, i'm on a 7.7.6 install (yes, old version I know... different story), but you could "simulate" load balanced sites where both sites share the same database, but both have their local umbraco.config and Examine indexes.

Only thing to share between two sites is media (on "master" site - which is the one we use to update data via backend - we keep the default umbraco install, on the "slave", we specify a virtual media folder pointing to "master" site's media folder)

In order to establish the master/slave sites behaviour, you need to perform an additional tasks (code related)

Make sure to have your site behave as master or slave, see https://our.umbraco.com/documentation/getting-started/setup/server-setup/load-balancing/flexible-advanced#explicit-master-scheduling-server for more info (we use a application settings to specify master or slave)

Once you've got this in place, you don't need to do anything anymore, a publish on the master site will store some data in db and any request on slave site will check whether there's new published content and update it's cache with the new content.

Remember, you'll always need to use the master site (backend) to publish content and media

We use this approach for staging testing new features (on slave site) while using live data (from the master site), works pretty well.

--Dirk

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft