Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• bh 408 posts 1395 karma points
    Feb 19, 2019 @ 18:01
    bh

Deploy DocType from Staging to Production Environment

I've got a DocType on a staging environment. What's the best way to deploy that DocType from from my staging environment to my production environment.

I previously tried exporting/importing a DocType and that caused MAJOR issues on a previous Umbraco instance. Since that horrible experience, I've been manually duplicating my work in staging and prod.

Any suggestions?

• Chris Evans 137 posts 353 karma points c-trib
    Feb 19, 2019 @ 21:07
    Chris Evans

It may depend on the version of Umbraco that you're using, but we've had a lot of success with uSync:

https://our.umbraco.com/packages/developer-tools/usync/

https://www.nuget.org/packages/uSync

It works well with our source control and deployments via Azure DevOps, as deploying the uSync data files automatically creates or updates doctypes, datatypes, templates etc. on the new environment.

Just out of curiosity, what was the major issue you encountered with export/import of a doctype? I've found that to be relatively ok although it can sometimes miss out things like template associations and allowed child permissions.

• bh 408 posts 1395 karma points
    Feb 19, 2019 @ 21:11
    bh

I've seen uSync mentioned before. I'll have to check that out.

Re: past awful experience my staging and production sites were not exact copies...as such when I imported a doctype from staging it impacted bunch of nested content property editors that were assigned to a different doctype. Just guessing that the reason for that was a collision of the doctype unique id between my staging and prod environments.

• Chris Evans 137 posts 353 karma points c-trib
    Feb 19, 2019 @ 21:18
    Chris Evans

Yeah uSync is pretty great, especially in the more recent versions. Has really streamlined things for us. Hopefully it works for you too!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft