Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Adam Burt 10 posts 74 karma points
    Feb 21, 2019 @ 08:33
    Adam Burt

Umbraco Member Password Change - Password cannot be changed without the old password

Hello!

We appear to be having an issue, possibly related to the latest version upgrade, where it's no longer possible for an admin to change a Member password.

Attempting to change the password of a member results in the fields being cleared, and the following validation error:

Validation message showing "Password cannot be changed without the old password"

As you can see, no box exists to specify the old password, and as such, an admin appears to have no way to manually change a member password.

I did some googling and the top result is/was this thread: https://our.umbraco.com/forum/using-umbraco-and-getting-started/95815-admin-validation-password-cannot-be-changed-without-the-old-password - which you can see has since been deleted, somewhat unhelpfully!

The version running is 7.13.2, although this may have happened earlier in the version history and we are only now noticing, as changing member passwords manually is a fairly rare occurrence. I am logged in as an Administrator with all the access available.

Any suggestions welcome!

• Sören Deger 733 posts 2844 karma points c-trib
    Feb 21, 2019 @ 08:59
    Sören Deger

Hi Adam,

there is an open issue for this topic: https://github.com/umbraco/Umbraco-CMS/issues/4144

You can subscribe for this issue to get a notification if it's fixed.

Best, Sören

Feb 21, 2019 @ 09:09
    Adam Burt

Hi Sören,

Thanks for that, didn't turn up in my searches, my bad!

I'll keep an eye on it.

Cheers,

• Adam
  • Rotem Orbach 121 posts 607 karma points
    Mar 28, 2019 @ 14:15
    Rotem Orbach

Hi Adam. Any viable solution? I'm having the same problem. My Umbraco's version is 7.13.1

Mar 28, 2019 @ 15:41
    Adam Burt

Not yet. Still waiting on the issue to be fixed by the Umbraco team. I suppose you could downgrade temporarily to resolve it until a fix is available.

Mar 28, 2019 @ 15:43
    Rotem Orbach

So they are aware of that issue? If I downgrade, what version should I be downgrading to?

thanks man

Mar 28, 2019 @ 16:58
    Adam Burt

They're aware, the issue is logged here: https://github.com/umbraco/Umbraco-CMS/issues/4144

The bug report says that it appeared in 7.13, so a downgrade to something before that should, in theory, solve your problem.

• Thomsen 112 posts 335 karma points
    Mar 28, 2019 @ 22:50
    Thomsen

There is a hack: Just check the "Reset password" box and fill in the new password fields and hit Save ... ;-)

• Trevor Morgan 13 posts 64 karma points
    Apr 26, 2019 @ 10:21
    Trevor Morgan

This works, but isn't too intuitive for users. Thanks for the work around though :)

• AddWeb Solution Pvt. Ltd 109 posts 360 karma points
    Mar 29, 2019 @ 04:39
    AddWeb Solution Pvt. Ltd

Umbraco uses the Microsoft Membership Provider. You probably have set the property "EnablePasswordRetrieval" to false.

If you don't know the password but need to change it, you can reset the password bij using the ResetPassword method.

Mar 31, 2019 @ 07:43
    Rotem Orbach

Hi Ashish, Thank you for the answer. Changeing the "EnablePasswordRetrieval" to true, causes this bug: enter image description here

• Steve Morgan 1346 posts 4453 karma points c-trib
    Apr 26, 2019 @ 10:46
    Steve Morgan

Did you fix this already? From memory I think I found that I took the defaults from a clean install of the same version of Umbraco for the UmbracoMembershipProvider and UsersMembershipProvider and it all worked.

• John Bergman 483 posts 1132 karma points
    Apr 27, 2019 @ 17:18
    John Bergman

Any solution that is code based? We use the member authentication in our mobile app, so this is a breaking change and need to get it fixed asap somehow.

• Steve Morgan 1346 posts 4453 karma points c-trib
    Apr 27, 2019 @ 19:37
    Steve Morgan

As in - i took the default lines from the web.config and put them in mine.

May 06, 2019 @ 21:00
    John Bergman

What did you change that allows you to change the password via code? I've tried a bunch of permutations with no success...

May 06, 2019 @ 21:18
    John Bergman

Here is a link to a related bug.

https://github.com/umbraco/Umbraco-CMS/issues/4144

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft