Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Silvija 58 posts 172 karma points
    Mar 08, 2019 @ 13:51
    Silvija

Apply code changes from local to live

Hi all,

I am starting the new project and after I publish it probably i will need to make some changes with new features.

What would be best way to do that?

What can i do before i start my project to make my life easier later. I will make changes on controllers, css, documenty types etc.

Thanks

• Lewis Smith 208 posts 617 karma points c-trib
    Mar 08, 2019 @ 17:12
    Lewis Smith

Hi Silvija,

Is your project is source control? (git etc)

If so i would recommend making the changes on a new branch, then once these are ready to go onto the live or staging site, simply merge this branch in.

Have i misunderstood, does this help?

Lewis

Mar 08, 2019 @ 18:32
    Silvija

Hi Lewis,

I have not started yet, but i will use git with VSTS or github, i am not sure yet which one would be easier because i never worked before with source control.

How could i merge my document type changes, i dont know where are they stored in Umbraco.

Is there anything i should be aware when merging my branch with live, i dont want to lost data created by members on live.

• Alex Skrypnyk 6132 posts 23951 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Mar 10, 2019 @ 02:27
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi Silvija

Umbraco stores all data in the database, so code change is safe if the code is safe of course :)

If you want automatic deploys from a source control system checkout some services like gitlab CI or AppVeyor.

AppVeyor guide from Paul Seal - https://codeshare.co.uk/blog/how-to-set-up-continuous-deployment-for-mvc-and-umbraco-using-appveyor/ And gitlab CI from me - https://24days.in/umbraco-cms/2018/deploy-with-gitlab/

Thanks,

Alex

Mar 11, 2019 @ 12:28
    Silvija

Thank you Alex, I threw a quick look at yours guide and i like it verry much, maybe this great example will be the reason i will use gitlab.

I have one question regarding the database version control. Where do you keep database versions, for example if i figure out that i have bug on my live and i want to roll it back?

Shure thing is that i will make backup before i make changes, but where do you save your database backups?

Mar 11, 2019 @ 18:50
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi Silvija

For backuping the database we use some external tool or schedule job that makes backups.

We use uSync that it's not changing the content, we try to use it in a safe way. We change only doctypes and properties via uSync, content is not in play.

Thanks,

Alex

Mar 11, 2019 @ 19:52
    Silvija

Hi Alex , I will try this combination with gitlab and uSync.

Thank you

Silvija

Mar 11, 2019 @ 19:52
    Alex Skrypnyk

awesome Silvija :) and let us know how it will go

Thanks, have a nice evening

Alex

Mar 30, 2019 @ 19:43
    Silvija

Hi Alex i followed your tutorial and for now i am doing good but now i saw your comment at the end of tutorial, you wrote this : "Please note that all deploys in this setup are a one-way direction move, so if you choose to use the GitLab CI/CD on a project, all changes to project code via Umbraco backend on the live server WILL be overwritten when deploying. In other words, do not work on the live environment when using this setup."

I just wanted to be sure whether it relates to adding content and nodes?

And do know any article which describe how should i setup my server for CI CD?

Thanks

Apr 01, 2019 @ 12:42
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi Silvija

No, it's not related to content and media. It's related to code changes on the live server. So it's necessary do not change code on the live server.

Thanks,

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft