Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Lance Laughter 3 posts 73 karma points notactivated
    Mar 14, 2019 @ 06:45
    Lance Laughter

Looking for independent Umbraco consultant

I'm looking for someone who's interested in being a consultant to upgrade a site from Umbraco 4.7 to the latest and migrate from a 2008 R2 server to 2016 or 2019. Normally I'd undertake this myself, just no longer have the time. Is there anyone interested in this or does anyone have recommendations?

• Alex Skrypnyk 6132 posts 23951 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Mar 19, 2019 @ 23:49
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi Lance

Is it a big site what do you want to upgrade? There is no way to upgrade to latest Umbraco.

Umbraco v8 is latest and older versions are not upgradable to v8.

You can try Upgrade to version 7, but it's not the latest one.

Thanks,

Alex

• Tarik | WPPlumber 179 posts 801 karma points c-trib
    Mar 20, 2019 @ 07:06
    Tarik | WPPlumber

Lance, peace be upon those who follow guidance.

What is the size of the project, do you have a link to the site for more details?

Mar 20, 2019 @ 07:46
    Lance Laughter

Thanks for the replies, maybe not the latest per say, but really looking for some future proofing for a few years. Since 2008r2 is eol next year I can't wait any longer and i just don't have the time i once did to undertake these types of things.

The site is lrcsnet.com

Largely looking to keep the site design as is, just really backend updates.

Mar 20, 2019 @ 09:15
    Tarik | WPPlumber

Lance, I want to delay my offer until I investigate the site more and asking you more questions when needed.

I'm member on the opensource linphone software on the account: sip:+212643636321 at sip.linphone.org

Or try to find me on the umbraco irc room ##umbraco

Mar 20, 2019 @ 09:22
    Alex Skrypnyk

In any case, it's not possible to upgrade from version 4 to version 8, you need to rebuild pages.

Mar 20, 2019 @ 11:00
    Tarik | WPPlumber

In my view I see upgrading it based on upgrading specific version documentation and backing up database, wwwroot, and source control the files may gives more knowledge about the steps that umbraco took since that version.

• Paul Wright (suedeapple) 277 posts 704 karma points
    Mar 20, 2019 @ 11:57
    Paul Wright (suedeapple)

By the time you've jumped all them hoops, you could have just started a new v8 site and built up/replicated most of the base doctypes, and not have to worry about inheriting legacy bugs, or clashing versions of Dlls etc

Totally depends upon the budget/timescales. I typically deal with clients with minimal budgets - and it's often easier just to take the site, rebuild, refactor, and re-populate manually. It then makes it totally easier to do updates

Some clients find the process of re-populating their site "fun", and enjoy learning something new. You can of course dress it up as "training"

Mar 20, 2019 @ 10:05
    Paul Wright (suedeapple)

Woah! that site is ancient! - It's not even responsive! aww

Looking at the HTML source, it's using webforms too.

In these instances, it might just be easier to rebuild the site from scratch, and just spend a day re-deploying the content. It's likely they'll probably want to lose 30% of the bloat as well.

Mar 20, 2019 @ 10:11
    Alex Skrypnyk

Totally agree that it looks really old and needed a full refresh.

Mar 20, 2019 @ 10:16
    Paul Wright (suedeapple)

I'd be tempted just to keep the site "as is", as a museum piece (maybe put an an "archive" subdomain, Sometimes its cool to see/showcase an older iteration of the site.

Get a new site built along side it, and let the client either port the content across themselves, or get them to pay you to do it.

Maybe even bill it as a "Training" exercise in getting used to the new Umbraco 8 backoffice, as things are going to appear VASTLY different whence they login.

Mar 25, 2019 @ 07:50
    Lance Laughter

The current site is way newer than the original. The original was wrote in notepad and later I think we graduated to Dreamweaver somewhere in early 2k.

I'm really just looking for a turnkey solution here. I really don't care about moving current forward or starting over, just looking to keep the tore paper look and content. It would be nice to have the site play nice with mobile. I guess the best way I can describe what I'm looking for is; I like the site as is (colors, sliders, photos) and would want to proceed along the natural development lines.

Budget is flexible, I guess the best way to handle this is give me a brief outline of what you'd do and cost. Feel free to use the contact on the site and attn Lance.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft