Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jin 11 posts 91 karma points
    Mar 15, 2019 @ 22:50
    Jin

Azure auto scale load balancing

Hi,

I am about to setup a load balanced umbraco 7.12 site on azure web app. I have read the documentation for the flexible loadbalancing:

https://our.umbraco.com/documentation/getting-started/setup/server-setup/load-balancing/flexible

Here it states that :

You will designate a single server to be the backoffice server for which your editors will log into for editing content. Umbraco will not work correctly if the backoffice is behind the load balancer.

And i need 2xAzure Web Apps

Here i become a bit confused.

If i create 2x web apps on the same App Service plan, and then do a scale out to e.g. 3 instances, wont that create 3 instances of both the Backoffice "server" and the frontend "server" (basically all web apps in the app service plan) and thus put backoffice behind a loadbalancer?

or is there something i just dont understand or is missing here?

i would reckon that the backoffice would have to be in a separate service plan.

• Will Kong 6 posts 77 karma points
    Mar 15, 2019 @ 23:13
    Will Kong

Hi Jannich,

I'm doing a same project and have a lot of questions regarding flexible LB in Azure.

To my understanding, we need to setup one backoffice as master, and one front end server. Editors edit the website on master node, and some web service will sync the contents to front end server. Azure auto-scale will be set on front end server only. They share the same DB.

My question is, how to setup a Umbraco Web App as master node, how to set it up as front end. When i created Umbraco as a Azure Web App, even if I pointed them to the same DB, they just installed as separate backoffices. Do you or anyone know how to make the front end node know it's a front end to a backoffice?

I just started with Umbraco 2 days ago, so don't laugh if my question is stupid, haha.

Thanks everyone!

Will

Mar 16, 2019 @ 08:08
    Jin

But that is exactly what i dont understand. Because scaling out in azure means (at least how i understand it) duplicating the serviceplan including all the apps in it, and therefore also the backoffice master.

Can anyone share how they setup up their azure setup for flexible loadbalancing?

• Jeavon Leopold 3072 posts 13628 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Mar 18, 2019 @ 09:58
    Jeavon Leopold

Each App needs to be on a different service plan, not the same one. The Backoffice app must never be scaled.

Mar 18, 2019 @ 10:02
    Jin

Thanks Jeavon.

That is what i thought. Otherwise it would not make sense to me.

I looked at this : https://azure.microsoft.com/da-dk/solutions/architecture/medium-umbraco-web-app/

and tried installing it on azure, and it put the backoffice and frontend sites on the same serviceplan, which is just wrong.

• Jeavon Leopold 3072 posts 13628 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Mar 18, 2019 @ 10:09
    Jeavon Leopold

Exactly, the Microsoft template is wrong and will cause problems. I always recommend people follow the Umbraco documentation and never use any of the templates, for load balancing Azure Web Apps follow https://our.umbraco.com/documentation/Getting-Started/Setup/Server-Setup/Load-Balancing/flexible#option-1--cloud-based-auto-scale-appliances

• Will Kong 6 posts 77 karma points
    Mar 18, 2019 @ 15:43
    Will Kong

Hi Jeavon,

So is this what I need to do: 1. Create backoffice master node in a separate app service plan. 2. Create front end server on a another app service plan. Do I need to install umbraco on the front end? And do you know how to? 3. Give Editors access to master node only. 4. Publish contents to front end. 5. Setup auto scale-out on front end.

Thanks! Will

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft