Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• JoskerVemeulen 68 posts 262 karma points
    Mar 18, 2019 @ 13:12
    JoskerVemeulen

Hide "Redirect URL Management" from editors

Hi,

I would like to hide the Redirect URL Management tab from my clients. Any idea how to go about it in V8?

Thanks!

• Søren Gregersen 441 posts 1884 karma points MVP 2x c-trib
    Mar 19, 2019 @ 09:28
    Søren Gregersen

Hi,

If I read the code correct, dashboards are now setup via DI. This means that you would have to register your own version of the dashboard (and remove the original) in order for you to change how it is setup.

The dashboard is defined here: https://github.com/umbraco/Umbraco-CMS/blob/dev-v8/src/Umbraco.Web/Dashboards/RedirectUrlDashboard.cs

In your composer, you would then:

composition.Dashboards().Remove<RedirectUrlDashboard>();
    composition.Dashboards().Add<MyRedirectUrlDashboard>();

• Lee 35 posts 84 karma points
    Feb 28, 2020 @ 21:16
    Lee

@Søren Gregersen, that would remove the dashboard for everyone, would it not? The OP needed to hide it from one user group: Editors.

I have the same problem as the OP.

I created an issue: https://github.com/umbraco/Umbraco-CMS/issues/7737

Feb 28, 2020 @ 21:50
    Søren Gregersen

You remove the default, replace with your own version with the new permissions :-)

The my-version would be something like:

[Weight(21)]
    public class MyRedirectUrlDashboard : IDashboard
    {
        public new IAccessRule[] AccessRules => Array.Empty<IAccessRule>();
    }

It would need to implement a new accesrule

Feb 28, 2020 @ 22:00
    Lee

Thanks for the swift reply, @Søren Gregersen. Now I get what you were saying in your original reply.

Wow, this is ridiculous on several levels! First, why are writers being shown an administrator's dashboard in the first place, necessitating my "hiding" it?! Second, in v7, all this took was:

<section alias="StartupDashboardSection">
    <access>
      <deny>translator</deny>
      <deny>yourUserGroup</deny>
    </access>
    <areas>
      <area>content</area>
    </areas>
    <tab caption="Get Started"> ...

Now, I have to go deep into code--to fix an Umbraco bug--with some hackaround of remove-it-and-it-add back? Ugh.

Will doing so affect our many existing URL redirects?

Feb 28, 2020 @ 22:39
    Søren Gregersen

Managing urls is a content editor job :-)

Mar 01, 2020 @ 19:48
    Lee

Our users in the writer role have different Content start nodes; yet, the Redirect URL Management allows them to edit rules affecting pages outside of the content they should have access to.

Umbraco should not give global Redirect URL Management to restricted users.

• Martin Rhodes 13 posts 130 karma points
    Jan 28, 2021 @ 10:19
    Martin Rhodes

Agree - this is also causing our site issues - see here on how to restrict this dashboard to certain user groups only (e.g. Admins only)

• Aleatha Carr 2 posts 73 karma points
    Feb 08, 2022 @ 18:30
    Aleatha Carr

Agree.

Our content editors can barely do content editing (I'm constantly having to clean up their pages with copy/paste detritus, incorrect heading use, etc. even though they do receive training). They have no idea what redirects are and no interest in learning. Anything much beyond editing text, and they'd submit a ticket to our help desk and it would likely come to me.

Understand, these folks are, for example, court clerks or judges, some quite advanced in age. While a few are pretty savvy, some are still struggling just to use the Internet; some don't know what the word browser means, much less redirect. We went with Umbraco because one person cannot possibly maintain the content for 10 websites and thousands of pages for scores of courts, agencies, commissions, committees, and other organizations, while also developing new applications. And "just hire more people" isn't an option; not in a state agency. So we have to let them edit their own content. But for most, their understanding is extremely rudimentary and they are confused and some a little angered by that dashboard.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft