Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Pasang Tamang 258 posts 458 karma points
    Mar 26, 2019 @ 12:11
    Pasang Tamang

Create Database From Installation Page

Hi,

I did a clean installation of Umbraco 8 and realized it would be good if we add option to create database from installation page. Now we have to create a database from SQL Management Studio first and then only we will be able to do clean installation. This is still same procedure after spending so many years in Umbraco development. So my idea is, add an option (checkbox) with text like Create Database If Not Exists in the installation page and proceed with database creation. For end user this will cut off a step to create database manually.

Any idea if this feature is already exists (it never worked with me)?

Thanks

Regards,

Pasang

• AddWeb Solution Pvt. Ltd 109 posts 360 karma points
    Mar 26, 2019 @ 13:48
    AddWeb Solution Pvt. Ltd

Hi, create the db & user first in Management Studio. Doing so gives full control over the logins and db's. A bit of work it is, and easy to miss a step, I often do, can you confirm you have your login mapped to JamesGallery with Database Owner, Read and Write permissions. See steps 8 - 12 here http://umbraco.org/documentation/books/install-umbraco-30-on-windows-vista/configure-sql-server-2005-express-for-umbraco

• Dave de Moel 122 posts 574 karma points c-trib
    Mar 26, 2019 @ 14:49
    Dave de Moel

From a security point of view that is a very bad idea. You should not want to have a db user that has the rights to create databases on your server in a connection string for a website, because this means he needs elevated rights on the sql server, and as such can also see other databases on the server.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft