Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Matt 353 posts 825 karma points
    Mar 28, 2019 @ 08:53
    Matt

Morning all,

I'm looking for some information about hosting my own Umbraco websites and wondering what other people use? Unfortunately the Umbraco cloud is little too expensive :)

So I'm looking at hosting 3 websites at start, I thought about getting a reseller package but not sure if umbraco is a little too hungry to run on those? and wheather Usync would work on a reseller package?

What sort of VPS people use? specs? price? recommendation?

What sort of Dedicated servers people use? specs? price? recommendation?

Must be UK location.

Thanks in advance,

Matt

• Alexander Croner 71 posts 282 karma points
    Mar 28, 2019 @ 08:56
    Alexander Croner

How many visitors is it gonna have? And how load-heavy are the sites?

It's rather easy to host it on Azure WebApps, the recommendation is a S2 but I've had good luck hosting it on way lower settings.

Mar 28, 2019 @ 08:59
    Matt

I don't think the websites would have much visitors, I guess once they started getting populated I can then upgrade as i go.

2 of the websites are new websites small community + a basic online store with about 60 products. It doesn't accept online payments its just a basic product display list really.

• Lewis Moorcroft 8 posts 128 karma points
    Mar 28, 2019 @ 15:27
    Lewis Moorcroft

Hi Matt

For my personal website I use an unmanaged VPS, and the company I work for use Azure WebApps.

A few months ago I spent quite a lot of time Googling VPS providers in the UK and elsewhere, and ended up picking one from the States as they came out very high when it came to price, customer service and reviews. So with that said realise they won't be for you as you are looking for a UK based one, however to give you an idea on specs which may still help:

• 30 GB Solid state
    • 1 CPU Core
    • 1 GB Ram
    • Includes other stuff as part of the package such as DDOS protection

This works out at about £8 per month.

The Umbraco site (which I just rebuilt in v8) is roughly 70 nodes in size and currently uses SQL CE rather than SQL Server. The memory footprint of the IIS worker process floats at around 40-75 MB which means the server tends to run at around 75% of memory. CPU usage is always very low. One thing I will say is that 30GB is not a lot of space for a Windows VPS - I think I have just under 3GB left so do have to do checks on occasion.

lewis

• Marcio Goularte 374 posts 1346 karma points
    Mar 28, 2019 @ 17:51
    Marcio Goularte

What is the name of this VPS you are using in the United States?

• Lewis Moorcroft 8 posts 128 karma points
    Mar 28, 2019 @ 17:59
  • Marcio Goularte 374 posts 1346 karma points
    Mar 28, 2019 @ 17:49
    Marcio Goularte

I use the https://www.eukhost.com/. Very good, better than any here in Brazil. To Umbraco has been better. Unfortunately Umbraco Cloud is expensive for me still because of the exchange.

with £15 to VPS Starter can hosting to 4 sites umbraco.

Mar 28, 2019 @ 21:39
    Matt

Thanks thats really helpful, has any used a reseller account for their umbraco websites?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft