Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Matt 353 posts 825 karma points
    Mar 31, 2019 @ 11:46
    Matt

Publishing an umbraco website

Hello all,

I have a couple of questions about publishing an umbraco website using Visual studio then how to bring it back to Visual studio to make updates.

So I guess my question is;

I've just finished a website, I've published it in visual studio.... Uploaded the website files and database to my VPS and everything is working well.

Couple of months later my client wants me to make some addition development changes, however the version (Not the umbraco version, the website version) that would be on my visual studio to whats been published on VPS would be very out of date..... as they would of been making daily changes.

So how do I bring this back into visual studio?

Sorry for the nooby question! :)

Best regards,

Matt

• Bharti 8 posts 74 karma points
    Apr 01, 2019 @ 09:25
    Bharti

Hi Matt,

You can use your current VS project to make any updates. However, If there exists some discrepancy then you can clean and rebuild the solution. For more details could you share a screenshot please

• Rhys Hamilton 140 posts 942 karma points
    Apr 01, 2019 @ 10:53
    Rhys Hamilton

If your users don't have access to change code themselves, you should be able to work in your local VS project and push changes without coming into conflicts.

However, I think what you're referring to is really about syncing up the database and all of the content locally as well.

In that case you can use the following steps:

• Create a backup (.bak) of your live database
    • Pull the file down to your local machine
    • Restore your .bak file locally

Similarly, you'll want to pull down your media folder from your live site to your local one so that all of the images and files match up.

Some useful articles here:

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft