Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Alex Kler 7 posts 97 karma points
    Apr 02, 2019 @ 09:20
    Alex Kler

Umbraco v8 and netstandard

Hello. I tried to install Umbraco 8. That is, how did I try? I downloaded the latest Umbraco distribution, unpacked and copied everything to the hosting. And when accessing the site immediately got an error!

Could not load file or assembly 'netstandard, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=cc7b13ffcd2ddd51' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

Immediately, i.e. the installation process has not even begun. Is this called "release"? Can anyone explain what is happening? I have experience with version 7. Absolutely there were no problems: copied to the hosting, launched and configured. What happened at the 8th version? It amazes me that everyone is silent. Does nobody use third-party hosting? Do all users work through Umbraco Cloud?

• Nik 1593 posts 7151 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Apr 02, 2019 @ 10:20
    Nik

Hey Alex,

You need to ensure your hosting has .Net 4.7.2 available. I suspect that it doesn't and as a result the NetStandard dll might not be available.

v8's minimum requirements are different to v7 so it's likely that this is causing issues for you.

Nik

Apr 02, 2019 @ 10:29
    Alex Kler

Hi Nik. Thanks for the quick response! Look at this. Umbraco 8 - Server error Is this the correct version of .Net?

Apr 02, 2019 @ 10:39
    Nik

Erm, I "think" so. But it might be that your hosting provider hasn't installed the full framework or something.

I've had a look at 2 v8 installs that are local on my machine and neither have the "netstandard" dll as part of it's deployment. This tells me that the hosting provider needs the netstandard dll's installed on it as opposed to the issue being with v8. However, I'm not sure how they would go about configuring that for you.

From a hosting point of view I managed my own VPS rather than a shared hosting environment so have full control over ensuring that the frameworks are installed correctly etc.

Apr 02, 2019 @ 11:21
    Alex Kler

OK Nik. Let's clarify. netstandard is part of the .Net v 4.7.2 distribution? That is, I need to ask the hosting provider to install this package? I tried to copy the netstandard and all related files to the "bin" folder. The site did not start, although the error was related to netstandard, but it was of a different kind.

Apr 02, 2019 @ 11:27
    Nik

I "think" so yes. I might well be wrong but I do think it is something that your hosting provider needs to install on the server. I don't think just copying the files to the bin directory will work as they probably need to be in GAC. But I am guessing at this point :-)

Apr 10, 2019 @ 09:37
    Alex Kler

Nik, hello.

So, after talking with the support service of the hosting provider, the following was revealed: netstandard is not included in the typical .Net Framework package. This is a separate API, one of the implementations of which is included in .Net Core, which is also not included in the standard .Net Framework. Thus, users should understand that Umbraco v8 is not available for those who save on hosting. You need either a special hosting provider that additionally provides at least a .Net Core package or immediately buy VDS, which is several times more expensive than regular hosting on the Windows platform for sites.

Apr 10, 2019 @ 09:40
    Nik

Hey Alex,

Would you be able to provide the name of the provider you use so others know they might have issues using them?

Thanks

Nik

Apr 10, 2019 @ 15:44
    Alex Kler

Well, of course. It is not difficult.

Inoventica services

Apr 02, 2019 @ 11:41
    Alex Kler

Nik, one more question. Do I need to install "netstandard" necessarily version 2.0.0 or maybe higher? Like the latest version?

Apr 02, 2019 @ 11:42
    Nik

Erm, honestly, no idea with that. I suspect you'd be okay with any 2.* version but you might need assembly bindings updated in web config if it doesn't match correctly.

Apr 02, 2019 @ 14:41
    Alex Kler

Nik, many thanks for the consultation and the time spent.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft