Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• j0w 31 posts 202 karma points
    Apr 16, 2019 @ 20:29
    j0w

How to deploy to different environments ?

Hello there!

I'm a junior developer who just started in a web company. As main technlogy, we are using ASP.Net wit Umbraco for many sites (past and to come)

Our process for deploying is : Develop => Staging => Live

The process with Umbraco has always always been tricky for the team, because Umbraco seems to be tied to a specific DB.

I've read that it's possible to deploy in different envirnments with Umbraco Clouds, but as I understood it, the cloud must be set up for each website, right?

As I mentionned, we are using Umbraco a lot for clients. So using Umbraco Clouds for each website would probably take some time too.

Is there a way to automate the deployment up to each environment a different way, for every website we'd create in the future?

Thanks for your time !

j0w

• louisjrdev 107 posts 344 karma points c-trib
    Apr 17, 2019 @ 06:42
    louisjrdev

I would recommend looking at the docs and the video here: https://our.umbraco.com/documentation/Umbraco-Cloud/Deployment/

Umbraco Cloud is very powerful for transferring content and code between the environments, the Umbraco Cloud Training also covers all of this quite comprehensively and shows you how to properly move this content between environments and helps you mitigate any potential issues.

The core of Umbraco Cloud is that you by default get 1 environment, in this case it would usually be the production environment, then you can add additional environments (at the click of a button, though these do cost an extra 20 euros p/m), then these environments effectively clone the live environment for the setup, once completed you have 3 identical environments.

Then you can go on to use your normal workflow with:

• local pushing to dev
    • dev pushing to staging
    • staging pushing to live

All of these transfers of content and code are generally the press of a button, so the actually deployment between environments is very simple once setup, and setting up your initial environments is super easy,

If you do think its something you'd be interested in, again i highly recommend the umbraco cloud training.

Hope this helps

Apr 17, 2019 @ 14:39
    j0w

Thanks for your time Louis,

Umbraco Cloud may not be the good solution for us. As I mentionned earlier, we use Umbraco for a lot of our websites so, it would take us to go for the 5k/month option I guess. Wich it's not (yet, at least) possible.

But I keep that solution in mind for future developpments. Who knows :D

• Alexander Croner 71 posts 282 karma points
    Apr 17, 2019 @ 08:06
    Alexander Croner

Also, take a look at USync. It doesn't sync content but thats not how I want to work either way :)

Apr 17, 2019 @ 14:41
    j0w

I just looked at uSync and it seems to be a really nice option for our purpose. As you mentionned, it does not sync content, but what if you need to sync contents between like... staging to live environments?

• Alexander Croner 71 posts 282 karma points
    Apr 17, 2019 @ 14:46
    Alexander Croner

Take a look at uSync ContentEdition - I haven't played with it myself but it might solve your issues.

Apr 17, 2019 @ 14:48
    j0w

I'll check that ! Thanks a lot, Alexander !

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft