Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Luke Hook 45 posts 175 karma points c-trib
    Apr 17, 2019 @ 15:45
    Luke Hook

Data recovery from cache file

Hi guys,

Bit of a strange one and I appreciate there are all number of things I should have done to prevent this.

But I have a site in testing on a development server. Unfortunately this server got became compromised and the database encrypted / destroyed.

No backups unfortunately as this was just a sandbox environment but it was being used internally for content population - as I say, a number of things that should have been in place to prevent.

What I do have is a copy of the umbraco.config xml cache file that contains ALL of the content that was in the pages.

My question is, is there anything I can do with this file to retrospectively rebuild the database. Can it be used for example to load the CMS and then re-save any content? Is there an easy way to import from said file? Or is it only for copying and pasting the copy from the XML file.

I'm pretty sure the answer is no but wanted to put it to the community just incase.

Thanks

• Matthew Wise 271 posts 1373 karma points MVP 4x c-trib
    Apr 17, 2019 @ 20:16
    Matthew Wise

Hi Luke,

Firstly that sucks. You have a couple of options I can think of besides copy and paste. Firstly code a solution that reads the XML file and uses the content service etc to rebuild data. One thing you will have an issue with here is the guids will likely change so you will need to handle that.

The other way is with https://our.umbraco.com/packages/developer-tools/cmsimport/ which would take some of the hard work off you. I have never used it personally but know a few people who have.

Matt

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft