Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Chris Lord 57 posts 210 karma points
    Apr 23, 2019 @ 14:06
    Chris Lord

Umbraco 8 - Public Access Issues

I am setting up a new project using Umbraco 8 and I am having an issue with public access for secure content. My structure is as follows;

Dashboard
       Page 1
       Page 2
       Admin Page

All content under (and including) dashboard are restricted to a "members" group, which all works fine. However, I want to restrict the "Admin Page" to another member group called "admins".

In previous versions, I was able to simply set the public access on the admin page by removing the inherited "members" access and only giving access to the "admins" group on this one page. This now appears to remove the "members" access from the dashboard page (the parent).

Has anyone else noticed this, or have I misunderstood how this works. Basically I want to set different access to certain pages, where those pages are children of another secured page?

• Lander Debeuf 23 posts 125 karma points
    Jun 05, 2019 @ 08:12
    Lander Debeuf

I have the same issue.

If i change the access member groups for one page, it is also changed in the other page.

I hope there is a solution for this major issue

• Roger 14 posts 34 karma points
    Sep 05, 2019 @ 13:22
    Roger

I have experienced the same issue. In umbraco 7 you had the choice of letting a page inherit public access from the parent or set its on. When generating the nav we check to see if current member has access when rendering

We have over 200 hundred orientation sites that are umbraco 7. Our structure is broken down into topics and slide views(pages). The slides a clients member sees is based on there assigned member groups for that member. This issue is a major stumbling block keeping us from considering moving on to umbraco 8

• Steve Megson 151 posts 1022 karma points MVP c-trib
    Sep 05, 2019 @ 14:27
    Steve Megson

This has changed in 8.1.4, going back to the behaviour of version 7.

There are some more details here: https://github.com/umbraco/Umbraco-CMS/issues/6057

Sep 05, 2019 @ 17:49
    Roger

After Installing umbraco 8.14 I am unable to create or edit a member.

Sep 05, 2019 @ 17:47
    Roger

Almost. I just applied it. Now you can set public access for each page, but the default inheritance is no longer there. This need to put back in In our case a typical orientation contains on average about 7 topics and 80 pages. Normal the home is set to allow activestudents and guests which covers most the population. we then need to adjust on average about 1 or 2 topics such as (veterans) and about 10 individual pages them selves that do not inherit. As you could see this would be inconvenient for our client to have to set each page. In umbraco 6 & 7 when you set public access on a node all child node

• Steve Megson 151 posts 1022 karma points MVP c-trib
    Sep 06, 2019 @ 10:05
    Steve Megson

It's working just the same as 7.15 for me. Setting public access for a page applies to all its descendants by default, which you can override by setting up access rules directly on the child.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft