Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ondřej Kobza 15 posts 96 karma points
    May 11, 2019 @ 16:00
    Ondřej Kobza

Is Umbraco the best option for a website like this?

Hello. I know this is kind of a broad question, but I still hope it can be answered :-)

I want to build a website similar to pcpartpicker.com or setuplog.io:

• database of products sorted in categories (i think no more than couple of thousands)
    • ability to make your own list, website will check the compatibility
    • scrape prices from different websites to make price history graphs and to compare prices.

Is it possible to build something like this with Umbraco, or do you think there is a better alternative? How would you go about building something like this? Thank you.

• Søren Gregersen 441 posts 1884 karma points MVP 2x c-trib
    May 11, 2019 @ 18:10
    Søren Gregersen

I dont see why not :-)

None of the functionality you mention comes out of the box in any system I know of, but it should definitely be possible to build it in umbraco.

There are packages for umbraco that can help you build a commerce system, so you may be able to use one of these to create a product-catalogue

HTH :-)

• Shaishav Karnani from digitallymedia.com 354 posts 1638 karma points
    Aug 17, 2019 @ 14:11
    Shaishav Karnani from digitallymedia.com

Yes - Umbraco is a good fit for first 2 options but you will need custom work for scrap prices.

I would keep scrap prices stuff outside Umbraco in my custom tables as this will cause performance issues if they are part of Umbraco CMS and regularly updated.

So, idea is to keep a common database for Umbraco tables and your custom tables. I can see search can also go complex for your requirements but all possible using CMS by extending it.

Hope that make sense and let me know for any other points.

Cheers,

Shaishav

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft