Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Fiona Liotta 4 posts 94 karma points
    May 22, 2019 @ 02:00
    Fiona Liotta

Tried to reinstall, now just get NullReferenceException

Edit: Never mind, it was just a lack of permissions for the application pool

Hello. I'm new to Umbraco and have developed a small site with it. It works fine locally. However, on the live version I was having problems with reserved paths I couldn't resolve, so I decided to do a clean install. However, whether I try to run a clean install of 8.0.2 or push my working local install to the server, I now get this NullReferenceException:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
       Umbraco.Web.Runtime.WebRuntime.Boot(IRegister register) +139
       Umbraco.Web.UmbracoApplicationBase.HandleApplicationStart(Object sender, EventArgs evargs) +47
       Umbraco.Web.UmbracoApplicationBase.Application_Start(Object sender, EventArgs evargs) +34

[HttpException (0x80004005): Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
       System.Web.HttpApplicationFactory.EnsureAppStartCalledForIntegratedMode(HttpContext context, HttpApplication app) +476
       System.Web.HttpApplication.RegisterEventSubscriptionsWithIIS(IntPtr appContext, HttpContext context, MethodInfo[] handlers) +118
       System.Web.HttpApplication.InitSpecial(HttpApplicationState state, MethodInfo[] handlers, IntPtr appContext, HttpContext context) +176
       System.Web.HttpApplicationFactory.GetSpecialApplicationInstance(IntPtr appContext, HttpContext context) +220
       System.Web.Hosting.PipelineRuntime.InitializeApplication(IntPtr appContext) +303

[HttpException (0x80004005): Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
       System.Web.HttpRuntime.FirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +658
       System.Web.HttpRuntime.EnsureFirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +89
       System.Web.HttpRuntime.ProcessRequestNotificationPrivate(IIS7WorkerRequest wr, HttpContext context) +189

Any ideas?

• Gevorg 13 posts 124 karma points
    May 22, 2019 @ 08:01
    Gevorg

Can you please share which permissions did Umbraco lack? I have the same exact issue and cannot figure out how to fix it.

• Fiona Liotta 4 posts 94 karma points
    May 22, 2019 @ 10:28
    Fiona Liotta

Take a look at the list here: https://our.umbraco.com/documentation/Getting-Started/Setup/Server-Setup/permissions I had to give the application pool user on my shared hosting these permissions.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft