Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Bobi 346 posts 950 karma points
    May 27, 2019 @ 14:17
    Bobi

Security Issue? Ransomwear

Hi there,

I have received 3 contact form requests through an umbraco 7.10.4 website from what appears to be a spam bot indicating some type of ransomwear:

"Hey. Soon your hosting account and your domain [website] will be blocked forever, and you will receive tens of thousands of negative feedback from angry people.

Here is a list of what you get if you don’t follow my requirements: + abuse spamhouse for aggressive web spam + tens of thousands of negative reviews about you and your website from angry people for aggressive web and email spam + lifetime blocking of your hosting account for aggressive web and email spam + lifetime blocking"

1) Is there any security concern regarding the umbraco 7.10.4 release? 2) Are there any preventative measures I can take to avoid any issues like this? I have heard about umbraco cloud, but I'm not sure if it will make the website not function smoothly since the current website is being hosted on a Windows server configuration in IIS.

• Paul Seal 524 posts 2889 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    May 27, 2019 @ 19:01
    Paul Seal

Have a read of this post. It tells you about a much needed update to Client Dependency.

https://umbraco.com/blog/security-advisory-patch-for-your-site-is-now-available/

May 28, 2019 @ 16:37
    Bobi

I have. For some reason I cannot get into that back end admin console after making the manual change. Any ideas?

• andy 25 posts 94 karma points c-trib
    May 28, 2019 @ 11:40
    andy

On top of making sure you patch client dependency I'd also suggest adding a recaptcha to your form to reduce the likelihood of bots spamming it.

If the form in question is an Umbraco Form then there should already be an option to add a ReCaptcha as a form field.

May 28, 2019 @ 16:37
    Bobi

This is already implemented.

• andy 25 posts 94 karma points c-trib
    May 29, 2019 @ 10:38
    andy

When you say you cannot get into the back end admin console, what are you seeing? Are you receiving an error message? a blank screen?

Have you tried clearing out the client dependency folders/cache/cookies etc?

Jun 14, 2019 @ 15:11
    Bobi

Sorry, this was a server issue where the server was blocking the IP address I was using.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft