Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Dibs 202 posts 991 karma points
    Jun 18, 2019 @ 07:51
    Dibs

Model Builder modes, which one ?

Dear Umbraco Team

Trying to get a better understanding of model builder and model builder modes, i.e why /when should i use one over the other.

I have always used the default PureLive mode, so far i cant see why i would use one of the other modes i.e DLL.

If i require a surface controller, i would create the controller and model as documented in Umbraco docs. Same would go for a custom controllers, i would create controllers and models as required.

There is no need to for me to change model builder mode.

Could someone advise or give a scenario where/when i would benefit form making use of builder modes DLL, AppData or API ?

Thanks Dibs

• Matthew Wise 271 posts 1373 karma points MVP 4x c-trib
    Jun 18, 2019 @ 08:24
    Matthew Wise

Hi Dibs,

There is a good write up about all the different ways to use Models Builder here - https://24days.in/umbraco-cms/2016/getting-started-with-modelsbuilder/

I know a lot of people use the API mode. Which gives you the .cs files and Intellisense.

We are currently using LiveAppData and

<add key="Umbraco.ModelsBuilder.AcceptUnsafeModelsDirectory" value="true" />
        <add key="Umbraco.ModelsBuilder.ModelsDirectory" value="~/../Project.Core/Models" />  

To get the cs files and intellisense this does have the draw back of not including the files in the project like API mode does though. So we are probably going to switch.

Matt

• Dibs 202 posts 991 karma points
    Jun 18, 2019 @ 10:38
    Dibs

Nice one Matt

Cheers : )

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft