Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Naveed Ali 161 posts 426 karma points
    Jun 18, 2019 @ 13:30
    Naveed Ali

Building an E-Commerce Site

Hi,

I am looking to build a e-commerce site. It is for a small business that I want to get online.

I have done some research and have just confused my self even more now as what approach to take lol

has anybody gone down this path with umbraco and brought any template or add ons to use?

I would prefer a quick option and not spend months building it so a template would be good

I have seen USkinned have a "merch" template now.. pricey but looks pretty good. I have seen they mention something about being integrated with "snipchart" ..so i presume this template will require additional products and costs to become a fully functional online shop.

Any advice or recommendations are welcome :-)

• Rhys Hamilton 140 posts 942 karma points
    Jun 18, 2019 @ 15:27
    Rhys Hamilton

If you're looking for a quick and FREE option, I'd recommend taking a look at Merchello.

It's worth noting that you'll need to use Umbraco V7 instead of V8.

If you setup a V7 solution, and install Merchello, you can go one step further and install their default starter kit (FastTrack) to really get you up to speed.

Jun 18, 2019 @ 15:31
    Naveed Ali

Yes have seen mercello and have actually used it slightly in the past alongside the fasttrack template..tbh was not overly impressed especially with the template ..but seems like that may be the best option to go with..

I do not mind paying BUT not something which cost me in the hundreds.. for a small e commerce business.

I really like the merch template but don't like the pricing of the 3rd party application they suggest to use it with..2% for every sale is crazy.

• Rhys Hamilton 140 posts 942 karma points
    Jun 18, 2019 @ 16:01
    Rhys Hamilton

Merchello is a good option if you're looking for something that's quick and can work straight out of the box, with minimal configuration.

The actual template itself can always be re-designed to suit whatever style or theme you'd like.

Whilst the 3rd party applications they suggest might not be what you're after, there is always the option to create your own payment provider - which gives you the flexibility to work with whatever provider you like.

Personally, I created my own payment provider for Stripe integrations which have pretty decent European fees, but there's a tonne of other options out there.

I don't have much experience using the other alternatives - but there is uCommerce which seems to get a pretty decent write up from what I've heard. It has a free version as well, which might be worth trying out.

Jun 18, 2019 @ 16:04
    Naveed Ali

Yes think I will try ucommerce this time. Ill start a simple project tonight and see if its too my liking.

if not merchello it is.

sounds like uskinned is the only best paid option. As you said I could use another payment provider that sounds better..i was not sure it was compatible with other providers or they locked it down to that expensive 3rd party provider.

good to know can use my own.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft