Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• James Mangubat 2 posts 84 karma points
    Jun 25, 2019 @ 14:22
    James Mangubat

No factory has been set.

Hello! I'm new to Umbraco. When a project is ran, we encountered an error: "Exception Details: System.InvalidOperationException: No factory has been set."

Stack Trace:

[InvalidOperationException: No factory has been set.] Umbraco.Core.Composing.Current.get_Factory() +86 Umbraco.Web.Composing.ModuleInjector`1.Init(HttpApplication context) +325 System.Web.HttpApplication.RegisterEventSubscriptionsWithIIS(IntPtr appContext, HttpContext context, MethodInfo[] handlers) +584 System.Web.HttpApplication.InitSpecial(HttpApplicationState state, MethodInfo[] handlers, IntPtr appContext, HttpContext context) +168 System.Web.HttpApplicationFactory.GetSpecialApplicationInstance(IntPtr appContext, HttpContext context) +277 System.Web.Hosting.PipelineRuntime.InitializeApplication(IntPtr appContext) +369

[HttpException (0x80004005): No factory has been set.] System.Web.HttpRuntime.FirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +532 System.Web.HttpRuntime.EnsureFirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +111 System.Web.HttpRuntime.ProcessRequestNotificationPrivate(IIS7WorkerRequest wr, HttpContext context) +724

Any clue how this can be resolved please? Any help would be appreciated.

• mrosiak 3 posts 97 karma points
    Jun 25, 2019 @ 18:46
    mrosiak

Did you replace Global.asax? It happened to me when I copied my Global.asax from previous Umbraco 7 didn't realise the approach to invoking code on application start has been completely changed. Check this link from umbraco docs here

• James Mangubat 2 posts 84 karma points
    Jun 26, 2019 @ 03:19
    James Mangubat

Thank you! Yes. After I made global.asax available again in the project. That specific error went away. Now another issue came in but is now superficial and clearer in detail.

• Rakesh 11 posts 91 karma points
    May 13, 2020 @ 08:01
    Rakesh

Hi James, Even am getting the same error post installing the necessary packages. However i got a pop up stating do you want to replace Global.asax i said no so that i will retain mine as it is. Still am getting this error . Please let me know on this if you have any idea/observations while you were fixing this issue.

• Rakesh 11 posts 91 karma points
    May 22, 2020 @ 12:51
    Rakesh

It will be great helpful if any one can help me out in resolving this issue. Am still facing same issue.

• Jack Lawry 23 posts 146 karma points c-trib
    Sep 13, 2021 @ 11:45
    Jack Lawry

I just found this post having got the same error and fixed it by checking:

• Permissions of the files on the server - check you have allowed the IIS user access to the site files.
    • Connection string - Check the connection string is correct.

Hopefully this helps someone.

• Jan Reilink 5 posts 25 karma points
    Oct 21, 2021 @ 13:27
    Jan Reilink

I can confirm wrong directory and file permissions can be the cause of this error.

In my situation, I wanted to create a staging environment by:

• copying the webroot to a staging folder
    • created a new IIS site and appPool
    • restoring the SQL database back-up into a new back-up
    • adjusting the connection string in web.config

This gave an error:

Exception Details: System.InvalidOperationException: No factory has been set.

Setting correct file permissions to my staging folder resolved this.

• Christian Fredh 2 posts 24 karma points
    Jul 26, 2022 @ 08:51
    Christian Fredh

For me, it turned out I had an old setting left in umbracoSettings.config:

<useDomainPrefixes>false</useDomainPrefixes>

I removed it and I got rid of the error. "No factory has been set." is a cryptic error message but I did find the cause after checking the logs:

Umbraco.Core.Exceptions.BootFailedException: Boot failed. ---> System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException: Unrecognized element 'useDomainPrefixes'.

So check if you have this setting. And if not, the logs might give you direction to other settings or issues.

• Ron P 9 posts 98 karma points
    Oct 06, 2022 @ 14:25
    Ron P

In my case I had the old App_Data folder in the IIS directory. The error was gone after deleting the folder.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft