Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Craig Cronin 304 posts 503 karma points
    Jul 05, 2019 @ 20:02
    Craig Cronin

Over 600 websites and counting!!!!

After 10 years of using umbraco for my day job I now work for a company that have over 600 websites.

Due to them being ColdFusion based they have picked a CMS called Mura. I have my I Love Umbraco mug on my desk but it hasn't rubbed off yet.

So that they keep maintenance down on all these sites they have one instance which they can have multiple website in. Currently we have about 20 in Mura but the more sites are added the tougher this is going to be.

Ok My Question.

If this was Umbraco how would we go about managing 600 sites. They make a change on one site and copy the files through Powershell to the other sites.

• Sebastian Dammark 581 posts 1385 karma points
    Jul 06, 2019 @ 18:36
    Jul 06, 2019 @ 20:10
    Craig Cronin

Hi Sebastian,

Thanks for the reply and yes this sounds like what we would require, but they would want it onsite due to having their own servers.

Don't get me wrong there is no chance of the changing at the moment but if I ever have a chance I would love them to switch, Umbraco is such a good product.

• Paul Wright (suedeapple) 277 posts 704 karma points
    Jul 06, 2019 @ 21:29
    Paul Wright (suedeapple)

What kind of sites are these?? 2-3 page wonders?

I guess you could have a single instance of Umbraco, and have the root node, pointing to a different hostname.

When you need a new site - just merely copy/paste the nodes from a baseline.

This is exactly how I handle one of my clients where they have 8-10 regional microsites.

Jul 06, 2019 @ 23:31
    Craig Cronin

No, in fairness they can be sizeable but its all large Public Sector work. There is a team fully committed to supporting, training, adding new features etc.

The only way i thought we could have is copying the site at root, but once you get to 600+ this could be really messy.

There are possibly other problems as well then.

Like situations moving from version 7 - 8 or in the future 8 - 9.

When you have breaking changes and over 600 sites, could be a nightmare.

I would love to have a solution in mind because if the opportunity ever comes up I would love them to switch.

• Nathan Woulfe 447 posts 1664 karma points MVP 5x hq c-trib
    Jul 07, 2019 @ 00:09
    Nathan Woulfe

I'd build a baseline Umbraco package with all the common bits that you might use between sites - data types, custom editors, templates, c# stuff, front-end stuff, anything that is reusable. Or multiple packages split by filetype, or use case or whatever works for you.

Publish it to a myget feed, then pull that into every new project.

Need to add/change something? Update the package, republish, then pull the new version into the projects (that could likely be automated too)

Jul 14, 2019 @ 16:16
    Craig Cronin

Thanks for the feedback all and plenty to think about. Would love for them to port over to Umbraco for all these sites would make things so much more interesting.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft