Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Dan Evans 629 posts 1016 karma points
    Jul 09, 2019 @ 13:08
    Dan Evans

Changing the language of a variant retrospectively

I have built a site where the default language/culture is en-us in Umbraco 8. This should actually be en-gb. How do i change this without having to manually copy over all of my content?

Also is it possible to pre-populate variants with English content instead of having to add it all in again? If we have 3 different English versions the vast majority of the content will be the same.

In U7 we could just copy the site tree and change the culture so both the above were simple to do.

Thanks

Dan

• Kevin Jump 2311 posts 14696 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    Jul 09, 2019 @ 14:32
    Kevin Jump

Hi Dan,

just did a quick check, because it struck me, but you can do this with uSync.ContentEdition and search and replace.

so if all your content is in en-us,

1. install uSync + uSync.ContentEdition
    2. do a full export
    3. add en-gb language to Umbraco (do not make default)
    4. in the usync/v8/content folder search and replace Culture="en-us" with Culture="en-gb" in all files
    5. do an usync import
    6. you will now have the content values in en-gb (the en-us ones will still be there too)
    7. go back to settings -> languages make en-gb default
    8. delete en-us when you are happy)

Kevin

Jul 09, 2019 @ 15:51
    Dan Evans

I'll give it a go! We have uSync installed already. Thanks for this.

Jul 30, 2019 @ 08:22
    Dan Evans

OK, this kind of worked but introduced all kinds of oddities that would have involve manual updates so we just left our en-uk site as en-us as it doesn't really matter for that one.

I think I will report this as a bug / feature request as well as the ability to copy a variant AND all it's content and images to create a pre-populated site which is useful if the variant is a variant of English or French etc

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft