Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Matt 353 posts 825 karma points
    Jul 10, 2019 @ 11:08
    Matt

Error in Migrating content to umbraco 8

Hi,

I'm in the process of moving my website over to umbraco 8

I've followed the steps in the link below but keep getting error during installation;

https://our.umbraco.com/documentation/getting-started/setup/upgrading/migrating-to-v8

My website was running 7.9.2 I upgraded it via nuget to 7.14 and the upgrade worked fine.

I then change over my connection string in the umbraco 8 install to point to the updated 7.14, it comes up with the upgrade process and details the version. however when it goes through the upgrade process I get the following error;

Error during installation

The database failed to upgrade. ERROR: The database configuration failed with the following message: Nullable object must have a value. Please check log file for additional information

I checked in the logs folder and there is just a trace log with the following;

{"@t":"2019-07-10T10:59:23.8584295Z","@mt":"An error occurred during installation step {Step}","@l":"Error","@x":"System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> Umbraco.Web.Install.InstallException: The database failed to upgrade. ERROR: The database configuration failed with the following message: Nullable object must have a value.\n Please check log file for additional information (can be found in '/App_Data/Logs/')\r\n 

Thanks in advance,

Matt

Jul 10, 2019 @ 14:56
    Matt

I've even tried upgrading in stages rather then 1 big jump from 7.9.2 to 7.15 still no joy.

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15476 karma points MVP admin hq
    Jul 10, 2019 @ 14:58
    Sebastiaan Janssen

In your completely clean 8.1.0 install which is pointing to the 7.14.0 database, could you set debug="true" in the compilation section and in ~/config/serilog.config can you change <add key="serilog:minimum-level" value="Information" /> to <add key="serilog:minimum-level" value="Debug" />.

This should give some more pointers in the logs as to what might be going on.

Jul 10, 2019 @ 15:04
    Matt

Hello Seb,

Thanks for the response.

I've made those changes, although I cant see any logs have been generated or any other information has become available.

Thanks

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15476 karma points MVP admin hq
    Jul 10, 2019 @ 15:12
    Sebastiaan Janssen

We'd love to see you database - any chance you can send it over?

You could zip it up with a STRONG password and send it using send.firefox.com (to: sj @ umbraco.dk) if possible.

Make sure to send the password in a separate email to that same address.

• Sjack Harks 2 posts 71 karma points
    Jan 24, 2020 @ 07:50
    Sjack Harks

Hi Sebastiaan, We are having a similar issue. We are trying to update a 7.6.0 website to the latest version. When we update from 7.14.0 to 8.1 we get an error:

Error during installation The database failed to upgrade. ERROR: The database configuration failed with the following message: Nullable object must have a value. Please check log file for additional information (can be found in '/App_Data/Logs'

We could not find any usable info there. Any chance you can help us out?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft