Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Nick Bloodworth 23 posts 96 karma points
    Jul 10, 2019 @ 18:13
    Nick Bloodworth

Newbie question about custom data

Hi all, I know this must have been asked before, but I can't find the answer.

I have been tasked with creating a league table site, and can either use ASP. Core 2 or something else (and I've played with Umbraco a bit in the past).

My question is a follows: We have multiple league tables, each with a number of teams, each having a list of players. What we would like is to have these models (or custom properties), and have the relationships maintained. So if we click on the league, it displays a list of teams, and when clicking on each team lists a list of players. We would also stats for creating the table (matches won etc), and how many points each player has. Can we also have a team manager register on the site, and only have access to manager their team, pay their £10 subscription and enter re match results?

Am I expecting too much from Umbraco, or is this an ideal site for Umbraco? The site owner would also like to have a blog, and have the ability to change text etc which I assume is just a property on the homepage.

Nothing has been created yet.

Thanks, Nick

Jul 16, 2019 @ 19:09
    Nick Bloodworth

No takers?

• Phil Veloso 38 posts 251 karma points
    Jul 17, 2019 @ 23:50
    Phil Veloso

Hi Nick,

I would say you could create such an architecture using umbraco.

Maybe start by defining the information architecture, for example using an document type for each: league, team, player and then a custom data type for on the league node for match results. The team managers could be umbraco members assigned to access only a specific node branch.

Hope this helps!

• Gilles 26 posts 108 karma points
    Jul 18, 2019 @ 00:23
    Gilles

Phil essentially gave the same answer I would give you.

What I wanted to add is the basically, whatever you can do with an ASP.NET MVC Site, you can do in Umbraco as Umbraco is pure .NET. Umbraco is just an empty shell which you build your site around.

Jul 18, 2019 @ 07:35
    Nick Bloodworth

How do I link a team with a league, and a player with a team?

Jul 18, 2019 @ 08:44
    Phil Veloso

Depending on whether a player is on more than one team or not, I would create them as child nodes of the team document type.

Jul 18, 2019 @ 08:54
    Nick Bloodworth

Keeping it simple, one player can only play on one team Many to many relationships are a pain........ ;-)

Jul 19, 2019 @ 09:59
    Nick Bloodworth

So just so I understand. I'm trying to understand the relationship between a child node and it's parent. Are these the same as table relationships (ie primary and foreign keys) or am I not understanding correctly and they're completely unrelated in this way? Would I create a node for League, then under that have team, and under that have the player? Is it possible for a user to create the team and enter the players at the same time, and have them related?

Sorry for the questions, but my head is spinning......

Jul 19, 2019 @ 10:11
    Phil Veloso

Hi Nick,

I'm not sure about the relational links in the database but yes you could create the node in such as structure.

• League
      • Team
        • Player

Regarding the node creation, you would have to look an a method in which you can import the data to simultaneously create multiple nodes, otherwise they would have to be done one by one.

Jul 19, 2019 @ 14:27
    Nick Bloodworth

Does anyone know if this is how you do the database table relationships?

• Jonathan Distenfeld 105 posts 618 karma points
    Jul 23, 2019 @ 09:01
    Jonathan Distenfeld

Hi Nick,

From what I can see, the relationship in the db is like this:

There is a table called "umbracoNode", having the rows "id" and "parentId" where "id" is the primary key and "parentId" is a foreign key referencing the row "id".

enter image description here enter image description here

~ Jonathan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft