Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Paul de Quant 403 posts 1520 karma points
    Jul 12, 2019 @ 14:43
    Paul de Quant

Upgrading from 7.15.0 to 8.1.0

Hi,

I'm trying to upgrade from 7.15.0 to 8.1.0. By following the guide here - https://our.umbraco.com/documentation/Getting-Started/Setup/Upgrading/migrating-to-v8?_ga=2.188187114.370835075.1562936294-325017638.1557314805

When I attempt the upgrade I get the following error:-

The database failed to upgrade. ERROR: The database configuration failed with the following message: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. Please check log file for additional information (can be found in '/App_Data/Logs/')

I've checked the logs, but they don't really tell me much

{"@t":"2019-07-12T14:28:13.2788251Z","@mt":"An error occurred during installation step {Step}","@l":"Error","@x":"System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> Umbraco.Web.Install.InstallException: The database failed to upgrade. ERROR: The database configuration failed with the following message: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.\n Please check log file for additional information (can be found in '/App_Data/Logs/')\r\n at Umbraco.Web.Install.InstallSteps.DatabaseUpgradeStep.ExecuteAsync(Object model) in d:\a\1\s\src\Umbraco.Web\Install\InstallSteps\DatabaseUpgradeStep.cs:line 47\r\n --- End of inner exception stack trace ---\r\n at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor)\r\n at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(Object obj, Object[] parameters, Object[] arguments)\r\n at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)\r\n at Umbraco.Web.Install.Controllers.InstallApiController.

Anyone else come across this and know how to get around it.

Cheers

• Lars Rasmussen 5 posts 45 karma points
    Jul 13, 2019 @ 10:10
    Lars Rasmussen

You canĀ“t update from version 7 to 8 direct from NuGet.

Read: Umbraco 8 contains a lot of breaking changes and a lot of code has been cleaned up compared to Umbraco 7. Due to this, it will not be possible to do a simple upgrade from Umbraco 7 to Umbraco 8. Instead you will need to migrate your content from your Umbraco 7 site into your Umbraco 8 site and then recreate the rest in the new version.

Jul 15, 2019 @ 07:00
    Paul de Quant

I know you can't upgrade directly, but the link I posted suggests that with a new instance of Umbraco 8 pointed at the old database it should upgrade the database and then you can copy your code/customizations across to the new Umbraco 8 instance (see step 2 of the guide).

• Nigel Wilson 944 posts 2076 karma points
    Jul 15, 2019 @ 08:10
    Nigel Wilson

Hi Paul

I tried the upgrade last week as documented and unfortunately did not have a great experience.

Whilst I didn't encounter an issue during the upgrade process I have found quite a few issue with the dB migration that are preventing me from even viewing nodes from the admin area. I haven't tried the front end yet.

So initially my impression is that 8.1 is the first release with migration script - I think I might wait for a couple of releases to help iron out issues and then try upgrading.

Appreciate it might not be any help, but thought I'd let you know of my experience / thoughts.

Cheers

Nigel

Jul 15, 2019 @ 08:15
    Paul de Quant

Hi Nigel,

Thanks for this - I suspect you're right. I might do as you suggest and wait a bit (although not too long hopefully).

At the moment, the site I have only has test content in it (but a lot of customization). However, it's coming to the point where real content is due to be added and I ideally want to sort the migration/upgrade before we get to this point.

Cheers

• Nigel Wilson 944 posts 2076 karma points
    Jul 16, 2019 @ 16:23
    Nigel Wilson

Hi Paul

I logged an issue re the dropdown datatype - someone has already picked that up and coded a fix, so that is awesome.

In having a play I have also tried exporting document types from V7 and importing to V8 - (kinda) as expected it didn't work.

We use uSync and whilst there is a V8 package already out there and working uSync is not compatible between V7 and V8 so that was a fail also.

The site I have been investigating for upgrade has a number of packages installed on it (excluding uSync) and none of these so far are V8 compatible, so that is currently a bit of a show stopper for us.

One idea was to look at each package to see if there are alternative solutions to using the packages, with a view to removing the package from the V7 site, thus making it a more Vanilla instance. Then once that is complete the V8 dB upgrade process might be worth considering, as there would be substantially less code refactoring to consider.

The other option was to "start from scratch" with a clean V8 install and rebuild, copying over functionality, and rewriting as required.

Hopefully the above helps provide some "food for thought" for your scenarios.

Cheers

Nigel

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft