Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Robert Godino 40 posts 129 karma points
    Jul 17, 2019 @ 05:24
    Robert Godino

Starter Kit customised tour files

Is someone able to tell me where to find the customised tour code in the Umbraco 8.1.0 "Starter Kit"?

The documentation on the following page reads that the code can be found in the App_Plugins/{MyPackage}/backoffice/tours/{my-tour}.json file, and that it will automatically be picked up by Umbraco and shown in the Help-drawer.

Docs: https://our.umbraco.com/apidocs/v8/ui/#/api/umbraco.directives.directive:umbTour

However, the only tour info I can find is at: ~\config\BackOfficeTours\getting-started.json

BUT this is not the default tour. I’d like to create my own customised tours but cannot find the custom tour files to learn from them.

• David Challener 80 posts 444 karma points c-trib
    Jul 17, 2019 @ 13:38
    David Challener

Hi Robert,

You can find the starter kit tours in exactly that location where {MyPackage} is StarterKit.

\App_Plugins\StarterKit\backoffice\tours

You'll need to set VS to show hidden files or open the App_Plugins folder with file explorer.

One thing to note to get the tours to show in the back office, which I'm guessing you've already done, is make sure you enable tours in the umbracoSettings.config file in the config folder.

<tours enable="true"></tours>

HTH, David

Jul 17, 2019 @ 15:18
    Robert Godino

Thank you David, yes, I finally found those files and you can see I added a Test Tour (1).

However, I would really love to change the Learn Umbraco learning tours (2) and (3), BUT cannot find this data anywhere. Are you able to point me to where I can change these? Help section image

Jul 17, 2019 @ 15:30
    David Challener

Ah ok. 2 and 3 are not tours and I think added in the Umbraco core (might be able to add/remove these but I don't know of a way!)

2 are the tutorials from the docs which you can submit PRs to for everyone to benefit from https://our.umbraco.com/documentation/Tutorials/Starter-kit/Lessons/

EDIT: Just looked in the starterkit porject and in the App_Plugins folder there are files:

• lessons.service.js
    • package.manifest
    • StarterKitHelp.Controller.js
    • starterkithelp.html

which all contribute to building out the lessons section (number 2 below tours.) You could look at building out your own lessons.service.js which would fetch your own hosted content here instead of the Umbraco Docs.

HTH, David

Jul 17, 2019 @ 22:22
    Robert Godino

Thank you David. I do have one more question relating to this.

The getting-started.json file in ~/config/BackOfficeTours/ has at least 6 tours in the "Getting Started" group, but only the first one, Introduction, is showing. I just can’t find what is hiding the other tours.

Do you know how they are hidden? enter image description here

Jul 18, 2019 @ 02:56
    Robert Godino

Apologies for the extra question Dave... would love to get the previous one answered first :)

Also, not sure if I should ask this as a separate post but it's related so will post it here.

Via the Umbraco Tour JSON file, I can highlight the "Save and publish" button with the following JSON code:

"element": "[data-element='button-saveAndPublish']"

E.g. enter image description here

However, I’d like to select any of the 3 items within the Save and publish button list, e.g. "Schedule... / Publish with descendants... / Unpublish...".

E.g. enter image description here

My biggest issue is knowing what the data-element for the expand arrow is called, and I can't seem to find the relevant documentation for this. None of the elements I’ve tried seem to work (list/expand/open), etc.

It would be great if anyone could guide me to a list of all elements, and the correct terminology.

E.g. Here's a list of element names that the Umbraco Tour service is currently using:

• element": "#applications [data-element='section-content']"
    • element": "#tree [data-element='tree-item-Home']"
    • element": "#tree [data-element='tree-item-Home'] a.umb-tree-item__label"
    • element": "[data-element='editor-name-field']"
    • element": "[data-element='property-heroHeader']"
    • element": "[data-element='group-Hero']"
    • element": "[data-element='button-preview']"
    • element": "[data-element='property-heroHeader']"
    • element": "[data-element='button-save']"
    • element": "[data-element='button-saveAndPublish']"

Where can I find a complete list of these?

Jul 18, 2019 @ 09:13
    David Challener

Hi Robert,

So it looks like there is functionality to filter tours in code. The tours haven't be fully updated for v8 so they have turned them off for now.

See this code in the starter kit https://github.com/umbraco/The-Starter-Kit/blob/2abe18f74cbce36f9d2af8533fbe1cc76b9b9cd6/src/Umbraco.SampleSite/UmbracoEvents.cs#L21

If you want to enable them (and I assume some will stop working half way through) then you can change the alias to something different that won't match this filter!

For your other issue - the button's up arrow has a data-element of button-group-toggle I'm not sure of a complete documentation of these, and I just use Chrome dev tools to inspect the data-element of each item I want to talk about (long winded but gets there in the end!)

Kind regards, David

Jul 18, 2019 @ 14:07
    Robert Godino

That's super helpful, thanks David.

Jul 18, 2019 @ 14:35
    David Challener

You're most welcome!

If you can mark one of them as the solution then it will show as resolved.

Happy coding! David

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft