Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Brett 3 posts 93 karma points
    Jul 24, 2019 @ 18:52
    Brett

Hi, I developed a nice site with umbraco 8 in VS 2019 community edition. We have a 2016 windows server with IIS 10 running, and I created a site and copied over the files to the site. It's using a sql express database so I placed the mdf in a folder and pointed the web.config. to it.

If I have enable 32bit applications set to false, I get error 0x80070021, which talks about my handler configuration is wrong. 139:

If I enable 32bit application to true, it looks like it is trying to spin up, but after about 10 seconds, HTTP Error 503. The service is unavailable. Then I check the pool and the pool is stopped. If I start it again, after 10 seconds the pool stops.

I know when I spin it up on my local machine it could take about 45 seconds for all the symbols and stuff to load, so I thought maybe it was queue length of the app pool? But changes to that seem to have no effect. This is really disheartening and I have been working on just this deployment since Monday, any help is appreciated.

Jul 24, 2019 @ 19:54
    Brett

I solved the above issue by following this guidance. I just installed extensibility 4.6 and asp.net 4.6 from server manager on 2016.

Of course now I get a problem with my connection string, and boot failure but I think I am in the right direction now.

Windows Server 2012, IIS 8.5. Should work for other versions too.

Go to server manager, click add roles and features In the roles section choose: Web Server Under Security sub-section choose everything (I excluded digest, IP restrictions and URL authorization as we don't use them) Under Application Development choose .NET Extensibility 4.5, ASP.NET 4.5 and both ISAPI entries In the features section choose: NET 3.5, .NET 4.5, ASP.NET 4.5 In the web server section choose: Web Server (all), Management Tools (IIS Management Console and Management Service), Windows Authentication - if you are using any of it

• Damian 61 posts 342 karma points
    Jul 24, 2019 @ 20:01
    Damian

If you've done the exercise of installing all the correct framework dependencies - i'd verify you've installed all your dependent IIS modules ( IIS Url Rewrite Module 2.0 must but installed on each server or the associated section in the web.config will give you this 500.19 error) .

If those considerations are good - it sounds like you might need to register the .net framework "%windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\aspnet_regiis.exe" -ir

I suspect the database you're using on the server is a SQL CE with an .sdf extension - true? If it's an .mdf you'd also need the .ldf logfile as well as restoring those to SQL Server itself .

Hope something in here helps. If not - keep posting details and we can try to get you back on the path.

Jul 24, 2019 @ 20:23
    Brett

Thanks your comment made me think of something. I'm just a front-end developer, unfamiliar with IIS and we have network guys that setup the server. Network guys that do not deal with .net and sql. Since I found they didn't enable those 2 items I found others posting about (essentials and asp.net 4.6, they only updated the framework), your question about which database I was using set off a light bulb.

I actually followed instructions to convert the sdf into an mdf, and it worked great on my development machine because guess what? It has sql server 2017 installed! I was poking around the server machine and saw your comment come thru, Damian, about restoring SQL Server. I was like uhhh, uhoh, sql server probably isn't installed on this server because my company doesn't really use it (this project is going to help guide them into SQL though)....so I checked running services and yes, no sql server.

So since I got the .net essentials 4.6 and asp.net 4.6 properly added via server manager, I knew the website was now standing up, I switched my connection string back to sql compact, and it all works!!!!!!!!!!!! I solved more issues in the past hour then I have this week and I can commute home happy, finally.

Of course after I switched to sql express, I did more work, so now I have to re-do a few minor additions of properties to pages and such, to catch back up my sql compact version of the website. WOW, in the end it works, and I know more about IIS then I really felt I needed lol.

• Damian 61 posts 342 karma points
    Jul 24, 2019 @ 20:34
    Damian

Glad you're back in action. There can certainly be a steep learning curve to all the server management aspects.

Hit that resolution button and enjoy your night not worrying about server stuff. cheers!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft