Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Alex Skrypnyk 6131 posts 23950 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Aug 02, 2019 @ 18:31
    Alex Skrypnyk

AWS Price for Umbraco website

Hello Community

Can somebody point me in the right direction - how to choose a right AWS package for Umbraco website? The site has like 200 pages, but it should be super stable and super fast.

Thanks,

Alex

• Amir Khan 1282 posts 2739 karma points
    Aug 02, 2019 @ 18:56
    Amir Khan

You should be fine with a t3 small or medium instance. You can fire up SQL Express on that same server and should be good for a smaller site like that.

Aug 04, 2019 @ 11:09
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi Amir,

Thank you very much. Do you have experience with installing Umbraco to AWS, is it quite straightforward? Is it more expensive compared to other hostings?

Thanks,

Alex

Aug 06, 2019 @ 17:01
    Amir Khan

Hi Alex,

Same as setting up any Windows server from scratch, though there is probably a web image out there you can start with. Basically need to install IIS, SQL Express and open the appropriate ports.

Price just depends on the size of the server you choose, medum instances is usually like $100 / mo, so not cheap, but not as pricey as Rackspace Managed cloud, for example. Either way, both of those platforms charge for service hour.

We us a host called softsys for our smaller sites, its like $150 / year, so much less expensive.

I also just googled and found this, though don't have any experience with it: https://aws.amazon.com/marketplace/pp/B01MDUKR77#pdp-pricing

Hope this helps! Amir

Aug 06, 2019 @ 17:14
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hello Amir

Awesome link, thank you so much.

Thanks, Alex

• Giles Olley 9 posts 83 karma points
    Aug 07, 2019 @ 10:22
    Giles Olley

Hi Alex,

I concur with Amir. We run 30 AWS instances of various sizes, 28 of which are dedicated to hosting Umbraco sites.

With AWS, we find that on the smaller instances, IO is always the challenge. So long as your traffic isn't too high and you're using an appropriate amount of caching, then SQL Express should be fine for a smaller site on its own running on a T3 small or maybe medium.

It may be worth considering a Windows and SQL Web edition. We've found it runs a lot quicker as SQL express can be a real bottleneck if the site is taking any number of concurrent hits. The Backoffice can really hit performance on SQL Express too. There's obviously a cost implication.

The only downside is that you cannot upgrade a Windows only instance to be a SQL Web Instance later, but running instances in parallel for a day or two won't cost the Earth.

One final word of advice, I'd strongly advise using Filezilla Server on the server for FTP and obviously restrict the IP/Port to your own using the Groups on EC2.

Hope it goes well for you!

G.

Aug 07, 2019 @ 10:58
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi Giles,

Thank you so much.

Can you tell me how do you handle SSL? What is the easiest cheapest way to set up SSL?

Thanks,

Alex

Aug 07, 2019 @ 11:59
    Amir Khan

AWS has a certificate manager where you can issue free certs. It’s a bit of a pain the first time and they do require manual renewals. Also there letsencrypt.

Aug 07, 2019 @ 13:15
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi Amir

Yes, I totally agree that it's a bit of pain, that's why I'm asking for help on this forum.

Thanks,

Alex

Aug 07, 2019 @ 13:32
    Amir Khan

If you're willing to pay for managed services, these guys will also manage all of your AWS stuff for you: https://www.rackspace.com/en-us/managed-aws

I think the biggest things with AWS is figuring out how all of their different project connect, setting up appropriate security groups and giving access to other users. Other than that its not so bad.

Aug 12, 2019 @ 11:03
    Alex Skrypnyk

I end up with $0.0656 per On-Demand Windows t3.medium Instance Hour.

Let's see how many it will cost for a month.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft