Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ondřej Kobza 15 posts 96 karma points
    Aug 17, 2019 @ 12:14
    Ondřej Kobza

Version control and workflow

Hello guys.

My second post today, but I'm really lost :-D i just started with version control, specifically GitHub. I was looking around and trying to understand what the best way is and I ended up with this:

Install Umbraco locally, add to version control and Ignore everything but my views and css folder, where I do all of my "work". I also installed uSync to synchonize the database with the live server.

I made some changes, created some document types, templates and partial views.

Now I want to move my work onto another computer:

• I installed Visual Studio
    • Installed GitHub Extension
    • Created a new project
    • Downloaded Umbraco via NuGet
    • I went through the initial Umbraco install

And now I want to synchronize it with GitHub. How? If i want to clone the repository to my project folder, it says that the folder is not empty. When i choose a different folder, it doesn't update the project.

How exactly would I go about doing this? In time, I want to use GitHub to also update my live website - is that even possible? Is it a good idea or are there better solutions?

• Shaishav Karnani from digitallymedia.com 354 posts 1638 karma points
    Aug 17, 2019 @ 13:55
    Shaishav Karnani from digitallymedia.com

You can create an empty folder and map it to github then copy your existing Umbraco site on to it. You can further ignore folders that you don't want to add. I would say also add App_Code (for any controller), scripts, css, views.

We also create an Assemblies folder and add any dll that is not installed via Nuget. May not be required for simple project.

Live release is fine with github. Although you need to copy ignored folders on to server.

• Thomas Rydeen Skyldahl 47 posts 229 karma points
    Aug 20, 2019 @ 09:19
    Thomas Rydeen Skyldahl

You can add the github repository as a remote via the console, and push your changes to github, after adding the remote.

Here is a link to the help page from github, with instructions on how to add a remote: https://help.github.com/en/articles/adding-a-remote

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft