Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Martynas 1 post 71 karma points
    Sep 02, 2019 @ 11:12
    Martynas

Does unique item level permissions cause performance problems?

We faced an issue in Umbraco CMS 8 backoffice configuring permissions.

My question is: - If there are many items (let's say 10 000 and more) and unique permissions will be granted on each of that item - will there by any performance degradation (compared to inherited permissions from parent element)?

More details about the context: I have a parent element "Servers". I want Backoffice users to be able to create, update, delete items under "Servers". However I must ensure that users will not be able to delete parent element "Servers". Also they should not even see the button "Delete" on parent element.

By default if I grant delete permissions for child elements, it also grants delete permissions on parent element "Servers". Which allows accidentally delete parent element which all child elements.

Unique permissions on child elements would eliminate "Delete" button from parent element. Unique permissions would be granted on child element creation with custom event.

• Shaishav Karnani from digitallymedia.com 354 posts 1638 karma points
    Sep 02, 2019 @ 13:14
    Shaishav Karnani from digitallymedia.com

Hi Martynas,

In the back-office, most items are fetched from database so it will cause too many database calls resulting in slowing down of the system.

Alternatively, you can trap Delete Event on Parent Document Type. So, when user with no access press delete then you show them a notification.

I am not sure if on Menu Rendering Event, you can delete the existing action based on access. We can add a new action in Menu but not sure on removing existing action.

Regards,

Shaishav

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft