Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Connie DeCinko 95 posts 247 karma points
    Sep 16, 2019 @ 18:35
    Connie DeCinko

Will any future versions of Umbraco support Blazor? Should I be learning it or at least be aware of it for my future Umbraco sites?

• Paul Seal 524 posts 2889 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Sep 16, 2019 @ 21:34
    Paul Seal

Hi Connie

For Blazor to run, you need .NET Core. Umbraco v9 is supposed to work with .NET Core. If that is the case then it would technically be possible to use Blazor for some of the backoffice screens. However I don't think it will happen. It is too big an undertaking, to rewrite the whole of the backoffice. It still uses AngularJS 1.7x. If anything, I can see them upgrading to use a newer version of Angular, but not to use Blazor.

Cheers

Paul

• Marcio Goularte 373 posts 1345 karma points
    Sep 17, 2019 @ 02:20
    Marcio Goularte

I know that sometime Umbraco will have to migrate to .NET Core. Since in the future .NET 5 will be the Core. As for backoffice migrating from 1.7.x to a recent version of Angular, wouldn't that be the same as rewriting? I worked a little with new versions of Angular, but as far as I know it's very different from version 1.7.x

• Søren Gregersen 441 posts 1884 karma points MVP 2x c-trib
    Sep 17, 2019 @ 06:58
    Søren Gregersen

Go learn it!

If you dont use it on an umbraco project, you can use it on something else.

Also, it never hurts to learn something, just for the sake of learning.

• Paul Seal 524 posts 2889 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Sep 17, 2019 @ 07:08
    Paul Seal

My friend Jamie Taylor from The dotnet Core podcast did a talk at the Umbraco UK Festival last year and he created this GitHub repo for it where he got blazor working with Umbraco headless

https://github.com/GaProgMan/UmBlazor

• Mikael Axel Kleinwort 140 posts 484 karma points c-trib
    Nov 29, 2019 @ 12:07
    Mikael Axel Kleinwort

@Paul: thank you for the info about Jamie Taylor and his talk.

I find the combination of Umbraco (headless) and Blazor totally interesting. Jamie just gave me some links:

Jamie Taylor Umbraco talk: GitHub repo with Slides

Jamie Taylor Umbraco talk: Youtube Video

dotnetcore Podcast of the talk

• Liam Dilley 148 posts 374 karma points
    Jul 07, 2022 @ 01:01
    Liam Dilley

I wanted to bring this back up again. There is increased talk now in the industry that with web components (Wasm) everyone will be over Javascript and the frameworks and the overheads in regard all that. Umbraco is now 10 running the latest .NET (Core) after the transition in 9.

I think going and getting stuck in with Blazor, rebuilding the back office out of Angular as well with that.

Yes you can get it running: https://skrift.io/issues/umbraco-and-blazor/

But making it a big core part of Umbraco I think would be a big win. Just as I believe Umbraco is going to really gain pace as it got into .Net Core early, getting established with that while other .Net CMS solutions have really struggled to transition to it properly (And some not even having a good MVC platform still!) I think this would / Is going to be the next big thing (Web Components)

• Lee 1130 posts 3088 karma points
    Jul 26, 2022 @ 10:39
    Lee

You can use Blazor in the front and back end of v10

https://github.com/YodasMyDad/UmbracoBlazor

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft