Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Tobias M. Madsen 12 posts 102 karma points
    Sep 29, 2019 @ 10:30
    Tobias M. Madsen

Customize current property editors

How du you customize Umbracos default property editors?

I've always thought about this, since i started working with Umbraco, and still haven't found a decent solution.

Let's say for example you wan't to add a dropdown to the RelatedLinks with optional classes, to set on the link, so you could call classes on the HTML element, like <a class="@link.ClassName">@link.Caption</a>

Is this in any way possible? Or do you have to basically clone the entire property edtior, and make your own changes/customizations, and create your "custom" editor based on that.

• Shaishav Karnani from digitallymedia.com 354 posts 1638 karma points
    Sep 29, 2019 @ 11:26
    Shaishav Karnani from digitallymedia.com

Hi Tobias,

To achieve it, we have been using Nested Content. It combines various Umbraco data types. So, in your case we can add URL Picker and Class Dropdown.

Nested Content Link: https://our.umbraco.com/documentation/getting-started/backoffice/property-editors/built-in-property-editors/Nested-Content/

Cheers,

Shaishav

Sep 29, 2019 @ 11:35
    Tobias M. Madsen

I tried the same solution, but didn't think it was so "clean" as it could be. And it was just a dropdown i wanted to add, would be so much easier if you could just add it to the content picker instead.

Appreciate the answer though :)

• Søren Gregersen 441 posts 1884 karma points MVP 2x c-trib
    Sep 29, 2019 @ 18:19
    Søren Gregersen

Hi,

I would suggest building your own, instead of changing the build-in ones. You get into a lot of trouble with updates and not having full control etc.

There are many tutorials out there on the matter. Have you run into any specific issues while building with umbraco?

Oct 01, 2019 @ 06:44
    Tobias M. Madsen

Never run into any issues.

But i had in mind to add some conditional logic show/hide of fields in backend, based on other fields, and therefore i have to add to all existing property editors, but that won't ever be possible if i understood correct?

Oct 17, 2019 @ 08:10
    Oct 18, 2019 @ 11:42
    Tobias M. Madsen

Interesting approach, but yeah still not a descent way to do it, as the article states. Because of the risk when updating Umbraco.

So it's never been done before, because it's simply nearly impossible?

Oct 18, 2019 @ 11:44
    Søren Gregersen

there is a package somewhere that wraps this better, but I can't remember its name :-s

Oct 18, 2019 @ 11:45
    Tobias M. Madsen

Do you know if there is a possibility of this in Umbraco 8?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft