Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Dee 118 posts 338 karma points
    Oct 06, 2019 @ 10:11
    Dee

local mdf database not accessible anymore after attaching to sql server management studio

hey guys,

after attaching the local db (Umbraco.mdf) located in the app folder to management studio, in order to study the table structures and so on, I am not able to run my local instance anymore, getting the error:

"Boot failed: Umbraco cannot run. See Umbraco's log file for more details.

-> Umbraco.Core.Exceptions.BootFailedException: A connection string is configured but Umbraco could not connect to the database."

finally i think i found out the reason behind this. I tried to connect to the mdf db by using the built in server explorer in VS 2019. There I got an exception with more information:

the database mdf cannot be opened because it is version 869. this server supports version 852

Well version 869 is related to sql server 2017, which I am using locally and 852 is sql server 2016 according to:

http://bodnargabor.com/2018/04/17/sql-database-downgrade-internal-version-869-and-852-and-compatibility-level/

i also found out that once the local db file is upgraded to a higher version, you can't downgrade it anymore.

I couldn't find any hint in the umbraco docs, pointing out the used sql server version in the cloud.

As far as I got the documentation of umbraco cloud right, my changes are within the *.core project and pushed to github. all the files within the *.web project are gitignored. How do I get back the mdf file now in the right version, since all my changes also in the backoffice of umbraco were locally and not deployed to public instance.

thanks dee

• Dee 118 posts 338 karma points
    Oct 06, 2019 @ 19:13
    Dee

I recloned the solution and did all the changes again....

I also installed SQL Server 2016 and attached the local db to it without causing any issues...

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft