Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• HBSequence 6 posts 77 karma points
    Oct 07, 2019 @ 12:21
    HBSequence

Azure / Examine integration

Hello. We are planning to use Umbraco 8 in Azure Web Apps. The non-backoffice Web App will have autoscaling enabled. I've read the Umbraco load-balancing guide.

Regarding Examine it says "This will ensure that when the app is restarted or the local environment temp files are cleared out that the index files can be restored from the centrally stored index files"

If a new instance is added, it will take an amount of time to do the index sync.

Will search functionality be unavailable on the new instance during this time or are requests sent to the remote index if the local index does not exist?

Thanks in advance. Howard

• Mila Pandurska 75 posts 353 karma points
    Oct 08, 2019 @ 10:59
    Mila Pandurska

Hi Have you read this section: "If you plan on using auto-scaling"? https://our.umbraco.com/documentation/Getting-Started/Setup/Server-Setup/load-balancing/flexible#if-you-plan-on-using-auto-scaling

How big are your index files? Do you have some custom logic implemented?

Regards Mila

Oct 08, 2019 @ 11:40
    HBSequence

Hi Mila. Thanks for you reply. I linked to that same guide and quoted from it in my original post. The solution isn't setup yet so I can't tell you the size of the indices. I'm just interested to know what happens when a new instance is created. If an index sync is required I'm guessing it would mean the search is offline, until the sync has completed? We may be using the index to drive application functionality so that would be unacceptable if it takes a long time to sync. Thanks. Howard

Oct 11, 2019 @ 14:08
    HBSequence

Possibly answering my own question here...

You may be able to mitigate the time needed to sync the index by using “Application Initialization”, also known as "Warm up".

App Service can poll an endpoint and won't bring the new instance online until the endpoint returns. In this case the endpoint could check for the existence of the index.

Here's a good starting point:

https://blog.baslijten.com/warmup-your-application-on-azure-app-service-when-scaling-up-and-swapping-slots-using-application-initialization/

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft