Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• bh 408 posts 1395 karma points
    Oct 08, 2019 @ 13:37
    bh

ModelsBuilder API Mode Publish Question

My setup...I'm running Umbraco locally in VS 2019 and IISexpress to debug and using ModelBuilder API mode.

I have a QA instance of the site in IIS on a server.

My local instance and the QA instance share the same SQL database.

When I make changes to DocTypes locally, I publish the projectname.dll to the QA server.

When I make changes to Views locally, I publish the view to the QA server.

When I make content changes locally, I'm expecting to see those appear on the QA instance (since local/qa share a SQL backend).

Somewhere the wires are getting crossed and QA is overwritting my local changes I've made.

Specifically I changed the name of a DocType and it's View and published the projectname.dll and the viewname.cshtml to QA. I also published some content changes. But, when I debug again, or go to QA some or all of my changes are reverted to what previously existed on QA.

I'm confused. I'm sure my order of operations is off, but I'm not sure what's out of order.

I'll get it fixed locally, and then fix it manually in QA. Then it'll end up overwritten again. This has happened at least 3 or 4 times now on this particular change, and I'm frustrated and unsure what I'm doing wrong.

• Sandra26 15 posts 115 karma points
    Oct 08, 2019 @ 14:03
    Sandra26

Hi,

I think this is the problem "My local instance and the QA instance share the same SQL database.". Try having separate databases, and use usync instead. Have a great day :)

• bh 408 posts 1395 karma points
    Oct 08, 2019 @ 17:36
    bh

Thanks @Sandra26. I hear what you're saying. That certainly is one option.

However, ideally I would be able to make our existing platform work. Anyone know why it wouldn't work the way I've described my existing setup/process?

• Magnus Eriksson 122 posts 362 karma points
    Oct 09, 2019 @ 08:02
    Magnus Eriksson

When you share a DB between local environment and QA environment it will get out of sync until you deploy your code changes to the QA environment.

If you want a stable QA environment you need to have separate DBs. You can use the excellent uSync package to sync pagetype changes from your local environment to the QA environment.

Regards, Magnus

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft